PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Rod Rack??

MikeLove
05-09-2006, 12:46 PM
I have been looking for a rod rack to carry my alluminum rod tuble holder on the front of my Mountain Bike. I have seen pic of some that mount vertically off the from wheel. Can anyone suggest where I might find one?

Piscator
05-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Hey Mike,
I've done a little research into this and the one I have found is the following link:

http://www.rivertrailgear.com/orderpage.htm

Hope this helps.
Later,
Terry

MikeLove
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Darknight, Thanks for the info.. I orderd me one..

BigCliff
05-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Mike, please understand that if you choose to ride a bike while wearing waders and a vest, we will need pictures. (teehee) Hey, it could be the best way yet to dry out waders before they need to be put away.

I will say that you are officially a manlier man than I if you can ride a bike from the river down in the park up to 259. Riding down to the park could be fun, but I would likely need to call a tow truck once I was down there.

MikeLove
05-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Let up guys.. This is serious options. I have ridden from the old park dam down the trail nearly to epplers camp to save time and you would be suprised how much game you can see moving quickly along the trail. I have slipped up on a buck and a flock of Turkeys on the bike.. also have some ponds at the country club just across the highway on which I can ride my bike on the club cart path.. Waders would be funny. I seldom ride when it is cold..mike love

BigCliff
05-10-2006, 08:18 AM
I was just kidding around. I can definitely see the benefits of riding a bike instead of having to drive everywhere. I regularly use mine for trips to the grocery store and am looking forward to having a smalll farmers market within a bike ride of my new house. I just hope a watermelon will fit in my backpack. I haven't tried it yet, but I will check to see if I can strap a 4 pc rod tupe to the top tube of my bike with some velcro straps or if I need one of those carriers like you got.

idabelangler
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Do pedestrians have the right of way down the z2 road?

BigCliff
05-10-2006, 01:20 PM
This might really be the ticket- http://www.popsci.com/popsci/whatsnew/f62a294c1251b010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Piscator
05-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Hey Mike,
Give us an update on how you like the rod rack you ordered?
Thanks,
Terry

MikeLove
05-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Darkknight, I ordered the Rivertrail bike rod rack and it mounted nicely to my trail bike. I had to by the adapter for the quick release front tire. I was surpised how small it was but how sturdy it held my rod tube. It rides nicely.. Its main use is to carry my rod from my house over to the trails at the country club where I can fish several ponds late in the evening..I would would make the purchase again should I have to rig another bike..

STARMedic
06-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Looked at the link and got a message saying that RiverTrailGear has closed its business.

Mike, how does the rack system mount to our bike? Would it be possible to see a photo?

Thanks,

Bruce

Ard
06-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Is this the same rack? Yes I ride wearing waders.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg406/Hardyreels/100_0161.jpg

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg406/Hardyreels/100_0465.jpg

Frank Whiton
06-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Wow Ard,

That second picture looks a little chancy. That would be a busted rod if I tried it.:icon_wink

MikeLove, I see you still call Piscator, Darknight. I still have a problem when I want to send a PM to Piscator. I have to go to the Portal Page to look up his name. Why can't you tie the tube along your cross bar with the end sticking out the front or the back according to your load?

Frank

Ard
06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Frank,

Take another look, the tubes are held vertically on the front forks in the rack. The rod in the second picture is simply propped on my trunk bag while I took the picture. I was fishing when I took the pictures. Does that look safer, I mean the tube on the fork?

Ard

Frank Whiton
06-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi Ard,

My mistake. I thought you were carrying your rod like that. I think the fork tube is a good idea.

Frank

MikeLove
07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I have since added 36volt front hub motor with throttle and battery pack to my mountain bike.. Helps get up those long hills...runs 20mph on blacktop..

Ard
07-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I have since added 36volt front hub motor with throttle and battery pack to my mountain bike.. Helps get up those long hills...runs 20mph on blacktop..

Mike,

Pictures please, I still like to use my gears but I'm not getting younger here either.

Ard

yatahey
07-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Holy **** Ard. Is that bike frame a 22"? What are you 6'6"?

MikeLove
07-02-2009, 01:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/lovetire/bike.jpg If this pic comes through it will show the front hub motor , 36 volt battery pack on rear and controller hung from the cross bar.. throttle is on the right side not visible but to the right of the brake.. cost 400 bucks on line.. I bought it at 607-587-8835 Lyle Barron in NY.

BigCliff
07-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Yatahey: I think 6'6" is about right for our Alaskan friend.

Mike Love: 2 questions-

Is that battery/motor set-up powerful enough to get you back up out of the park on the windy road to the south or that long haul up to the dam on the other end?

And,

Can we PLEASE see a picture of your jolly self flying by at 20 mph on a mountain bike while wearing waders?

Ard
07-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Yat,

It was a special order back in 1983 I don't know how big it is but I've never parked next to a taller bike. It has proven to be very reliable over the years (built before the age of planned obsolescence took over mountain biking) although I have replaced; handlebars (a weld finally broke last year) cables in 2003, rear derailleur in 03, few freewheel in 03, and the seat and steering head I'm not sure when. I have a TREK Y3 that I pumped $2300 into for downhill in 1993 before my brain caught up with the age of the rest of my body also. The Fuji was built long before suspension came to the public market.

Yeah, I'm 6'5" 220 lbs. I need a big ride.

Mike, thanks for the picture.

Ard

BigCliff
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Yat,

It was a special order back in 1983 I don't know how big it is but I've never parked next to a taller bike. It has proven to be very reliable over the years (built before the age of planned obsolescence took over mountain biking) although I have replaced; handlebars (a weld finally broke last year) cables in 2003, rear derailleur in 03, few freewheel in 03, and the seat and steering head I'm not sure when. I have a TREK Y3 that I pumped $2300 into for downhill in 1993 before my brain caught up with the age of the rest of my body also. The Fuji was built long before suspension came to the public market.

Yeah, I'm 6'5" 220 lbs. I need a big ride.

Mike, thanks for the picture.

Ard

You sound like an ideal candidate for a rigid 29er. One of these would likely be perfect for you- REDLINE | ADULT BIKES | MONOCOG FLIGHT 29'ER (http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/d440.html) They go for about $600. I've got a 2007 model fancier version and have been thrilled with it. Review: Redline Mono 9 | MtnBikeRiders.com (http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2007/11/07/review-redline-mono-9/)

Ard
07-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks Cliff, I'll check them out.

mcnerney
07-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Mike: So how far can you run on the battery or do you just use it get over the up hill sections? Looks like a great idea by the way.

Larry

MikeLove
07-02-2009, 09:42 PM
The 3 12v series wired batteries will deliver about 20 miles on flat ground. However if you use the pedals and all of the gears, you can ride much farther. I have never had a chance to run the battery all the way down.Google electril bicyle kit.

mcnerney
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Mike

That is pretty impressive performance! I'm going to check that out.

Larry