Nymphin around Helena Montana

Reaction score
hey guys i was looking for some help on what to use around helena right now. Iam new to nymph fishing and to this sight so any help would be very much apreciated

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Capt Stubie: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with the Helena question, but we have a number of MT folks on the forum that should be able to offer assistance.

Larry

Reaction score
thank you mcnerney i am enjoying this web site alot! It has been very helpfull to me so far by learning new techniques and new patterns. Iam gonna go try the gallatin for a while on my way to bozeman tomorrow. i would go to the yellowstone but the got 11 inches of snow in the last 2 days :eek:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
thank you mcnerney i am enjoying this web site alot! It has been very helpfull to me so far by learning new techniques and new patterns. Iam gonna go try the gallatin for a while on my way to bozeman tomorrow. i would go to the yellowstone but the got 11 inches of snow in the last 2 days :eek:
Capt. Stubie: I guess that is spring time in the Rockies! Well at least you have a number of choices to fish, good luck with the wx!

Larry

Reaction score
went to the gallatin but it was blizzarding so i didnt go. but i went to the yellowstone this morning with my uncle and i caught 2 cut throats and 1 rainbow and ALOT of white fish. great day on the river

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
captain_stubie: Sounds like you guys had a great day on the water, congrats! Snowed here last night also, winter just doesn't want to go away quietly!

Larry

Reaction score
its fine with me if it doesnt want to go away! well only if it hits about 65 at the highest! that would make me a happy camper

BigSky

Reaction score
captain stubie, I haven't been out in the past couple of weeks; but, I have heard from a couple of peope that recently pink scuds and pink or red San Juan worms have been working on the Missouri. A couple of weeks ago I had luck with bead head gold rib hairs ear nymphs and bead head copper johns.

Check this website out: Headhunters Missouri River Montana Fly Shop & Guide Service

They usually have pretty up to date conditions and fishing reports. You will find that the Missouri River regulars always seem to be using some variation of some local creation. The old standbys do seem to work for me; however, when the regulars say that a flaming-blue-mumbo-jumbo is working, well, I buy some.

I drove by the Boulder river the other day and it appears to be open. I haven't fished it yet this spring; however, almost any white or yellow dry fly in a size 14 to 18 usually seems to work there early in the year.

If you get a chance, hit my favorite fishing river in the world, the Little Blackfoot. The week before last I caught a bunch on bead head pheasant tail nymphs. It's not the most productive river in the state; but, it's close, it's hard to beat for beauty, and your not usually competing with a bunch of other anglers.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe I can after I get out a few more times.

By the way, welcome to a sportsman's paradise. Oh, I'm sure other places in the outer 49 can make similar claims based on their own little pieces of heaven; but, I wouldn't trade it for any place else. Besides, we can always travel.

Until the Day,
Thom

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I just re-read the thread and noticed you said you were new to nymphing and that you didn't say you were new to Helena or Montana. I apologize. I didn't mean to come off like a know-it-all. I just made an assumption that you were new to the area. My apologies if I came across in an inappropriate manner.

Reaction score
thank you big sky!!! i really apreciate it! iv been hitting hauser damn lately as much as i can. usually walleye fishing in the morning so i can have lunch that day. then i fly fish for trout the rest of the day and pink scuds and orange egg patterns have been working the best