Orvis blows.

1950mercury

Reaction score
Getting tired of being treated like a third class customer at Orvis in Denver at Cherry Creek because I dont look like the "traditional" fly fisherman. Its too bad Rob cant figure out that I am a gear head and like to spend money. Maybe he is just a bit jealous that I get out several times a week.

T

BigCliff

Reaction score
Interesting first post. Seems kinda like badmouthing Ford because the manager of the local dealership is a turd though.

I'm not a member of the Orvis Acolytes who love them dearly. I think lots of companies out there make better stuff for better prices. It just sounds like its one person or one store you're talking about, not a tackle manufacturer.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have had great experiences with Orvis (and I worked for them in SLC for a yr) and I must agree that they tend to cater to people that have more money than sense. However, putting down an entire company because of an experience with a single employee is, who can I say this, rather short sited.

1950mercury

Reaction score
I was a bit tired when I got off work lastnight at 4:00 AM. What I meant to say was Orvis Cherry Creek in Denver blows.
I really am having a good time fly fishing though. I was addicted the first time I went. I have been sitting on an old Wright and McGill "All American" rod that was my grandfathers for 15 years and decided it was time to learn how to wave it around. I caught fish on it and figured that it was probably holding me back some so, I went out and got some gear that was a bit more modern.

Joni

Reaction score
I agree that it is the personel and not Orvis, cause you ever need to call customer service, they are very helpful. As Mike said I too worked at the SL store from start to finish and now the Orvis endorsed Lodge, and we had one sales BOY! that was quick to dis whatever you were using instead of working with. Personally, I know Mike or myself would have tried to work with you, regardless of money spent. It's nice just to meet fellow fishing people.
I don't feel however that Orvis gear is over priced, it is name brand with a great warranty. Just like Sage, Winston, Loomis, etc. They have a name, but they will take care of you for buying that name for a very long time.

Curtis

Reaction score
I for one have never seen a company that will back their product like Orvis will. They are in the same price ranges with all other companies in their quality bracket. I for one did not have anything but good experience with the SLC store, even from the boy.....LOL!!

Don't give up on Orvis. Call headquarters about your issue. They will work with you and you might be surprised how far they are willing to go to make you happy.

jr1964

Reaction score
Orvis has pretty good phone customer service but some of the employees have a narrow picture of what their customers should look like. I've seen employees like this put shops out of business. Its not the company its the person waiting on you.

Reaction score
I really like my local Orvis store. The ppl there are great to work with. I'm in there at least 3 times a week just to get tips and check out gear.

Leyther

Reaction score
What I meant to say was Orvis Cherry Creek in Denver blows.
That is funny because I have had nothing but a positive experience from the all the staff at the Cherry Creek store. In fact, I was just in there a couple of days because the D-ring on the back of my vest had snapped and I ended up losing both my net and net magnet to the river. They not only gave me a brand new vest, but also gave me a discount on a new net and threw in the magnet for free and also popped in one of those $25 off $50 certificates.

Very rarely have I been treated so well by any customer service.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Mercury,

Many of us have had a bad experience with a sales staff person whether we were buying fishing gear or a new coffee pot. I have taken notice over the years that fly fishing like many other sports and hobbies has a tendency to bring out the ego in some people, most notably some men. I have met shop staff who were very eager to let me know that they 'knew everything' and they did so in a very in your face manner. I make it a practice never to get into a spitting contest about anything so I overlook this behavior. In some shops once they got the idea that I wasn't there to buy a complete new outfit from the wading shoes up they kinda blew me off. I simply didn't return to those business's. However I do not hold the companies whose merchandise is offered by those shops accountable for an sales persons demeanor, and I never wrote an article to the editor of my local news paper about it.

My advise is don't be too thin skinned when you are in a fly shop or around other fishermen. You will meet many people who have a less than desirable attitude but you can't take it to heart. You will find some outstanding people involved in this hobby and there are many who post here on this forum. Concentrate on that aspect and enjoy your new gear.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Ditto Ard's comments. There is a local fly shop (6 stores now), and one
of the shop's managers is a total dork. He knows everything, and it actually
turned me off to some manufacturers for a while. He insists that anything
other than Lamson reels will not protect tippets, and tells everyone that
Ross reels stink. He even told me that the springs on the Ross Evolution drag pawls are prong to break. Ross Evolutions don't have springs:rolleyes:.
I just stopped going there.......

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There's an Orvi$ shop on Cape Cod that I've been in four or five times.
The only time anyone there has paid the slightest attention to me was last year when they were having a tent sale.
Some guy followed me around the whole time to make sure I didn't steal anything.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rip,

To a certain extent I think Orvis dealerships are kinda like bars / taverns. They have their regulars who they cater to and those customers who sport a Rolex President usually don't go unnoticed either. For the rest of us, we have to take a seat and wait to be noticed.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I've only been to about a dozen fly shops, but the BEST, FINEST sales staff
and owner work at an Orvis Shop: The Sporting Gentleman in Media, PA.
They treated me like a king from day one, and will spend all day helping with
anything.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rip,

To a certain extent I think Orvis dealerships are kinda like bars / taverns. They have their regulars who they cater to and those customers who sport a Rolex President usually don't go unnoticed either. For the rest of us, we have to take a seat and wait to be noticed.
I need to correct the above post; Some Orvis dealers may be like that not Orvis dealers in general. Thank you for making that point Frank, we need to avoid broad and sweeping generalizations for they are almost certain to be proven incorrect.

Ard

racine

Reaction score
Actually, this used to be the attitude in 2 of the Denver area flyshops back in the early '80s. It seemed that buying was a no compromise affair. That has changed much in the last 15 years that I've re-visited those shops and customer service has won out. Visit Anglers All if you want service, it's a very complete shop with excellent and often unbiased assistance. I've also been to that Orvis in Cherry Creek several times and never seen anything like Mercury got but hey, we can all make mistakes and give wrong impressions. Matter of fact, I've visited the Orvis store in Baton Rouge, LA after someone gave a similar negative comment and never saw it in 4 visits. I like most of their products so I shop there but I don't have a single Orvis rod, wader, boot or reel. I just like the variety of items they offer from straw hats to flies. I'd suggest giving them another chance.
Racine

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My local Orvis dealer here is awesome. The first time I went in there I received awesome customer service despite wearing a T-shirt and ball cap (usually I really dress down when I go to shops). Because of that service I have purchased a lot of equipment from his shop (I did not buy anything on my first visit). What was even cooler than the service is that I have gotten some good discounts on equipment from him without even asking. But like others have said sometimes a person in a shop can have less than desirable customer service.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
The Orvis store here in Houston has always given me excellent service. It's true that a lot of Orvis stuff is fairly high-priced, but with the use of coupons I've bought a lot of stuff there at what turned out to be more than reasonable prices. And frankly, while a lot of it is expensive, it's also very good quality with excellent service-after-the-sale.