some glass for a change

caseywise

Reaction score
i just won an eagle claw feather light 6'6" fiberglass stick on fleabay. havent fished glass in a long time, should be fun.:D:D

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:30 PM ----------

reel for that stick?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
i just won an eagle claw feather light 6'6" fiberglass stick on fleabay. havent fished glass in a long time, should be fun.:D:D

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:30 PM ----------

reel for that stick?
I'd keep it old school with a click and pawl drag reel.
Pflueger Medalist
Martin 61
Cortland Crown

MP

ant

Reaction score
Congrats! I've gotten to the point were I fish glass almost exclusively. I just like the feel a lot better.

I agree with MP. I have a similar rod that I put on a Medalist with a 6wt line on it and it works great.

wabi

Reaction score
I have one in the 7' length and it's a versatile rod. Be nice if they'd offer a better grade (handle, reel seat & hardware), though. The cork handle peeled/flaked off on mine (thin cork veneer over a lower grade cork base). :(
The fiberglass rod blank itself seems to be decent quality for the low price.

Tracker12

Reaction score
What is considered the primo Glass rod out there? I often come accoss them but have no idea of the quality and value. I have considered a nice Fenwick since I fished fenwik glass spinning rods since I was a kid.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
What is considered the primo Glass rod out there? I often come accoss them but have no idea of the quality and value. I have considered a nice Fenwick since I fished fenwik glass spinning rods since I was a kid.
Tracker: These folks make some fine rods:
http://www.sweetgrassrods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=36

Tom Morgan Rodsmiths - Fiberglass Rods

I've seen others at the fly fishing shows, hopefully Mojo will see your question and chime in!

Larry

Tracker12

Reaction score
Larry
Very nice looking rods from both of those builders. But I have no interest in putting that amount of $$$ in a Glass rod. I think I'll stick with and old Fenwick or Shakespeare to fool around with. Match is up with a Medalist and I will be good to go.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
For vintage production rods, it's hard to beat a Phillipson. They also made the blanks for rods by Orvis, LLBean, Abercrombie & Fitch and other smaller fly shops. Scott and Winston would be other obvious choices
Silaflex and the Scientific Angler " System" rods were both very good as were the higher end rods from Heddon, Berkley, Wright&McGill, St Croix, and others
Fenwick and Shakespeare rods are probably the most readily available and have plenty of fans.
I like the Shakespeare Wonder rods, but the only Fenwick that I have is uncastable....Maybe it's just me.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Yesterday was 'Day One' with my new 10' 6" glass switch rod on the Rogue. 31' scandi head/9' leader (can't remember the line grain weight) and step into the river.

Usually I can pick up darned near any 2-hander/line combo and have it (somewhat) 'dialed in' within a half a dozen casts. Not with this Puppy. Took close to a half hour to get the feel/hang of how this guy needed to work.:starwars:

Finally went to very tight body (arms/elbows tight to body) Scandi underhand casting and ZING! :thmbup:

Totally different Animal from any of my graphite 2-handers. Amazing.

fae

diamond rush

Reaction score
I have my dad's old SF70 Phillipson. Its from the first year after 3M bought Phillipson. great rod, I love the feel of it. And its completely indestructible.

Rob11

Reaction score
Picked up a Steffen Brothers S-Glass in a 7'9" 3/4 weight 3 piece last year. What a great rod for eastern streams! The spigot ferrules make it feel like a one-piece when it's assembled. Smooth caster, nice delicate touch, and stands up to windy conditions as well. Can't say enough about glass.