A lively Atlantic salmon on the Royal Dee, Scotland

cb

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRU9ry0csQ"]YouTube- The Perfect Atlantic Salmon[/ame]

What a wonderful salmon river the Dee is for fly fishing. This video was taken on the Lummels pool one of the finest pools on the river. This fish was spectacular! Bill had joined me for a couple of days and of course showed us how it should be done!

What sport!

Colin.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Colin

Thanks for posting, that was great. It looked like Bill was using a Sprey rod, any idea what size?

Larry

cb

Reaction score
It looked like Bill was using a Sprey rod, any idea what size?
Certainly do - it was my outfit he was using. The rod is a 15ft 1in Sage #10 (10151-4 European). Hardy Ultralite reel holding a Trevor Morgan floating Spey line #11 with 51ft head. 10ft fast-sinking polyleader with 4-5ft 13lb Fluoro tippet (Frog hair) with size 12 Cascade Double fly.

15ft #10 rods are the standard outfits in the UK for salmon on the classic largish rivers like the Dee/Spey/Tay/Tweed.

My current favourite rod is the Hardy Demon #10, though I have had many happy days with my Sage rod in the past.

Regards

Colin

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Colin, I can't believe you are picking on those poor fish with that great big rod.:thumbsup: I could have used that outfit on the Kenai in Alaska.

Frank

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I started spey casting just this last spring. I love it. I have a 15' 8/9 wt. Meiser with a 9/10 Airflo Delta Spey line that has a 56 1/2' head. You can whip a pretty good fish into submission with these kind of rods. Here is a video of doing just that.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJXq7Uc0lTY"]YouTube- Spey Rod for big Pike.mpg[/ame]

moe b

Reaction score

Wow these are some cool videos!

Big fish too:eek:. Congrats.

Moe