PDA

View Full Version : A Guide's Day Off

MoscaPescador
06-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Friday (6/11), Lower Yuba River east of Marysville, California

I had a chance to fish with my friend, Dave Barbieri. He is a Lower Yuba River guide. With the flows well over 5000 cfs, trout fishing was out on the Highway 20 Bridge stretch, but fishing for American Shad below Daguerre Point Dam was an option even in high water. Normal Yuba River fishing flows are between 1000 and 1500 cfs.

Fishing pressure was rather light. Three jetboats were on river. Spread over 8 miles, there were plenty of spots for everyone.

Dave is unique since he is the only drift boat guide who has access below Daguerre Point. He also has a cool boat.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs338.ash1/29055_404296428418_327170478418_4147569_120413_n.j pg

We landed over 40 shad. That number includes the LDRs. We also counted the shake offs after we touched our leaders. Shad are herring. Tarpon are herring. So tarpon tournament rules apply! Here's Dave's little male.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs309.snc3/29055_404296438418_327170478418_4147570_3601097_n. jpg

The "I'm Too Sexy for Shad" pose.
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs329.snc3/29055_404296448418_327170478418_4147571_4242100_n. jpg

We pulled out 20 shad out of this one hole. It was nuts!
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs329.snc3/29055_404296453418_327170478418_4147572_5946457_n. jpg

Me in the background having to touch a shad. Yuck. Shad stink!
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs309.snc3/29055_404296463418_327170478418_4147573_5502897_n. jpg

MP

mcnerney
06-12-2010, 05:31 AM
MP: Great fishing report and photos! I've never fished for shad so I know little about them. Tell me more about fishing for Shad, what do you use for flies?

Larry

MoscaPescador
06-12-2010, 09:51 AM
MP: Great fishing report and photos! I've never fished for shad so I know little about them. Tell me more about fishing for Shad, what do you use for flies?

Larry

American Shad are anadromous fish that arrive in the Sacramento Valley/Sierra Foothill rivers to spawn from April into July. These fish were transplanted from the mid-Atlantic states in the late 1800s. Shad average two pounds for the males and four and a half for the females. It is a beautifully colored fish with a purplish back and pearl sides. If Abel ever makes a fish print American Shad graphic, I'll have one made for me in a Super 6N Large Arbor.

Shad are members of the herring family. They are known to school. Usually if you find one shad, you have found a smaller pod or a large school. Yesterday, we found a few small pods and several large schools. Like other herring, shad are rather slimy and stinky. I know a guide who refuses to net shad because he doesn't want his net to stink.

The tactics that Dave and I used were similar to steelhead fishing. We would wade and cast into a seam line. Shad usually hang out on soft side of a seam line. We used sink tip lines ranging from type 3 to type 8. Yesterday, the type 3 sink tips ruled the day. At the end of the swings, we would twitch our flies a few times before retrieving them in. Those twitches added to our catch rate.

The flies that we use are simple. They have bright colored bodies that look like they come from waste containers at Three Mile Island. Bright red, orange, pink, and chartreuse are popular colors. The fly that ruled the day was a fire red Bernie's Banger. We used a modified version of it with a marabou tail with beadchain eyes.
https://shopflyfishingspecialties.com/images/P/Banger.JPG

MP

yatahey
06-12-2010, 10:18 AM
That's some rad shad guys. Very cool.

Frank Whiton
06-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi MP,

Thanks for sharing a cool story. Even I can tie that Shad Fly. What size of hook are those tied on? We have Shad here in Florida but I don't think they get that big.

Frank

peregrines
06-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Great stuff MP, looks like a great day on the water. I used to fish for them in MA many years ago but never had a day like that!

i used a sink tip then too, but having different densities would have been even better. Are you using something like Rio's Versi-Tip or poly leaders?

Frank not sure which shad/s you have down there in FL. We chased American Shad (as opposed to the smaller Hickory Shad) and used flies mostly size 6 or 8, but would see others using sizes 4-10 that also caught them.

mcnerney
06-12-2010, 01:10 PM
MP: Thanks for sharing the information on Shad, like I said I knew nothing about them. Now I now the basics!

Larry

FrankB2
06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Cool! Love the boat! What kind of rods do you and Dave use for those shad?

We live minutes from the Delaware River, and it's estimated 400,000 shad pass by each year, mostly during April and early May. I didn't get over to the
Delaware until last week, so I missed all the shad fun........

What constitutes a catch: I read an article written by Lefty Kreh, and he said that another famous fly angler (name not given) told him that he considered
a fish hooked to be a fish caught. Well, I shared that with my wife, and she's always asking, "Does that count?" "That" could be as little as 2 seconds before the hook is spit, and I tell her she has to decide for herself.... :D

jpbfly
06-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Great report Dennis:thumbsup:we all enjoy your posts about gear on the forum...but you're a mysterious guy...when shall we see a good and clear pic of you here?:D

HuronRiverDan
06-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Great report Dennis...We have Threadfin Shad that run our local rivers, and like your American shad; they are slimy and stink...Fun to catch, but not to touch...

Dan

MoscaPescador
06-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi MP,

Thanks for sharing a cool story. Even I can tie that Shad Fly. What size of hook are those tied on? We have Shad here in Florida but I don't think they get that big.

Frank

Hi Frank,
I mostly use size 6 and 8. The fly in the picture that I provided is actually a size 2 Gamakatsu SC15. I tie my flies on on Targus 3908T hooks because they are less expensive than Gamakatsu saltwater hooks.

Here is a recipe of the modified version of the commercial tie that I use.

Bernie's Banger|https://shopflyfishingspecialties.com/images/T/Banger.JPG
Hook|Targus 3908T- 6, 8 (Gamakatsu SC15 hook pictured)
Thread|Danville Flat Waxed Nylon - fire red, fire orange, chartreuse, fluorescent red, pink
Eyes|Beadchain -medium, gold or silver (Dazl Eyes pictured)
Tail|Marabou - white (rabbit fur pictured)
Special notes|Coat the entire body with head cement for durability. If one wants the fly to be weighted, use dumb bell eyes or Dazl Eyes as in the picture.

I also tie a similar beadhead thread bodied pattern on a size 12 TMC 107SP hook. When the water is lower, the fish chase smaller flies.

https://shopflyfishingspecialties.com/images/P/BH%20Banger%20Brass.JPG

I used a sink tip then too, but having different densities would have been even better. Are you using something like Rio's Versi-Tip or poly leaders?
When I Spey cast, I use Versi-Tips. Yesterday, I was using 6 weight single handed rods with a 24 foot sink tip lines (Cortland Precision Quick Descent Line). I had two rods with me. One had a 175 grain line and the other had a 225 grain line. The sink tips sank at 3 to 4 inches per second and 5 to 6 inches per second, respectively. It's much easier to change rods rather than to rerig.

Dave outfished me. First of all, he is a much better caster than I am. Also I strongly feel that he had the better line. Dave was using a 15 foot type 3 sink tip line. I think that his fly stayed in the swing zone. My 24 foot sink tip was dragging bottom on some swings due to the extra length.

Great report Dennis. We all enjoy your posts about gear on the forum...but you're a mysterious guy...when shall we see a good and clear pic of you here?
Holy cow, Batman! I thought I put up a picture in the "put a face to the name" thread. I will take care of that later.

What kind of rods do you and Dave use for those shad?
I love throwing the long cast, so I use 6 weight Spey rods. Because I knew that I would be fishing within 40 feet, I used 6 weight single handers. Depending on the lines to be used, I fish as light as a 5 weight and as heavy as an 8 weight.

MP

Pocono
06-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice report, MP. Yes, you did post a pic to the thread that you refer to.

How are shad to hook and land? Good fight or no? The relationship to tarpon makes it sound interesting. What's this about the smell??

Pocono

Tracker12
06-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Shad are a great fish to play and fight as hard as any. I regularly fish the Potomac River is Washington DC during the Spring run. I had a great year and caught a bunch if fish using MP's flys. Just goes to show you that East coast west coast shad like the same ones. Your not that far up in PA you should come on down next year. Nice pics Dennis I am jealous since we are done for the year.

MoscaPescador
06-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Nice report, MP. Yes, you did post a pic to the thread that you refer to.

Yes. The picture is up.

How are shad to hook and land? Good fight or no? The relationship to tarpon makes it sound interesting. What's this about the smell??

Imagine your life spent being chased by sea lions. Shad are tough, fast fish. If they get into the main current, they can take you into your backing. If you hook up with one fish, you have either found a pod or a school.

These fish are fun to fight. They are known to make blistering runs and make sudden direction changes. The smaller males can jump twice their body length out of the water. And in a lot of the waters that I fish, I do not need to use heavier rods. I mostly with 6 weights. Dave was having a blast with his 5 weight.

And the smell? Let's just say that it isn't pleasant. It kind of lingers like a stale f... (and I don't mean stale fish).

MP

kingbiscuit
06-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Use to cast net for these guys in lakes when I was a kid. Feel a bit bad about that. They really are brilliant looking fish. Thanks for the report and idea. Worth looking into trying this myself.

patyer
06-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Great pics, looks like a fun day. I fished for shad my first time this year in Maryland and fell in love with them. They are such a blast to catch.

oregonsteel
07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Friday (6/11), Lower Yuba River east of Marysville, California

I had a chance to fish with my friend, Dave Barbieri. He is a Lower Yuba River guide. With the flows well over 5000 cfs, trout fishing was out on the Highway 20 Bridge stretch, but fishing for American Shad below Daguerre Point Dam was an option even in high water. Normal Yuba River fishing flows are between 1000 and 1500 cfs.

Fishing pressure was rather light. Three jetboats were on river. Spread over 8 miles, there were plenty of spots for everyone.

Dave is unique since he is the only drift boat guide who has access below Daguerre Point. He also has a cool boat.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs338.ash1/29055_404296428418_327170478418_4147569_120413_n.j pg

MP

Purty boat. So are you best friends with good ol Randy Jarvis? Isn't it nice to meet him or one of his security guards by the 20 bridge? Isnt that awesome of him to have security guards to protect everyone while they are out fishing?

I read about how Randy talked friends of the Yuba (SYRCL to be exact) into letting him control access around the highway 20 bridge, for a project to enhance salmon and steelhead rearing habitat. He is such a big hearted, giving fellow.

You probably run into that no'erdowell Hogan Brown, here is a post where he tries to bash that angel of a guy Randy Jarvis.
Public Access GONE on the Lower Yuba - Kiene's Fly Shop Forums (http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18132&page=1)

MoscaPescador
07-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Oregonsteel,
The 8 mile stretch that Dave and I fished was below Daguerre Point Dam, not Engelbright. I am not happy with Jarvis and SYRCL trying to limit access to the Lower Yuba. Many of my friends in the industry, including Hogan Brown, would lose a good chunk of their livelihoods if that happened.

MP