Best sunglasses lens color for streams...

maccadon3000

Reaction score
So recently I've noticed that I am having more trouble seeing in overcast conditions using my everyday/fly fishing sunglasses. They are an old pair of polar chromic copper lensed Action Optics. I am the type that doesn't like to bring along multiple pairs of sunglasses for different varying light levels etc. My question is this:

If you could pick one lens type which would it be: polar chromic Amber or what I have currently in the polar chromic copper. I would be using these on cloudy days, on bright days, on the stream under shade, on the stream out in the sun, driving in cloudy conditions, on the hillside at a sunny summer concert etc etc. I will not be using them to spot bones on the flats. But for me to drop $200 on a pair of sunglasses, I dont just want to use them on cloudy days for fishing. I would want to be able to wear them in every condition. I've just read that amber lenses can cause eye fatigue in bright conditions after awhile, which is the only reason I haven't ordered them yet. Is this a true con to amber?.

I know I have the copper already, but they would find their way to the gear bag and not hanging around my neck if I decide on amber, which I want to lean towards. Sorry for the rambling and thank you so much for the help..

caseywise

Reaction score
i use a light smoke colored lens pair of smiths for most days but i have used, thanks to my FIL, a pair off yellow tint wrap arounds in low light conditions. a whole world of difference. im gonna buy a pair, there cycling glasses 20.00, and keep em in my vest for any late evening fishing i may wish to partake in.

another, more expensive option
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=productsearch&cd=52&ved=0CH8QgwgwCzgo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.campmor.com%2Fsmith-district-ii-slider-interchangeable-sunglasses.shtml%3Fsource%3DCI%26ci_src%3D14110944%26ci_sku%3D83323BLK&rct=j&q=smith%20interchangeable%20sunglasses%20sale&tbm=shop&ei=gOkTTu7vKJOGsAKZyNTUDw&usg=AFQjCNHwECJ5touSmGJIPOfu9a4Pc545-Q

BigCliff

Reaction score
I would generally prefer copper over amber, but its rare that I'm not fishing on a bright sunny day.

You might be well suited picking amber and just using your old copper glasses on the brightest days.

maccadon3000

Reaction score
Thank you Dennis. Yeah, I noticed that part of the site. I guess I was almost looking for first hand reviews of fellow anglers who use amber lenses on and off the water and what they thought about the ability of the lenses to handle really bright days. But, again, I thank you for that, because it is a great place to start.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
In Northern California, I deal with a lot more brighter days than overcast days. I have had the polarchromatic copper lenses and had the polarchromatic amber lenses. If I had to choose one lens color, it would be the polarchromatic copper. It works well on the bright days. It works decently on the overcast days. I wasn't as pleased with the polarchromatic lenses in brighter conditions.

Dennis

maccadon3000

Reaction score
In Northern California, I deal with a lot more brighter days than overcast days. I have had the polarchromatic copper lenses and had the polarchromatic amber lenses. If I had to choose one lens color, it would be the polarchromatic copper. It works well on the bright days. It works decently on the overcast days. I wasn't as pleased with the polarchromatic lenses in brighter conditions.

Dennis
Thank you Dennis. That is exactly the type of review I was looking for. In the bold section, did you mean "polarchromatic AMBER lenses" in brighter conditions? Just checking to clarify. Also, if anyone else has first hand experience using amber lenses in everyday, all condition situations, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Noiso

Reaction score
Maybe this webpage can sway you towards the direction that you may want to go to.http://www.smithoptics.com/technology/#/Sunglass+Technology/Lens+Options/view/
This link has me more confused than ever! I have been using $20 cheapie polarized for years. My current pair, from Ted Fay, is either amber or copper - not sure. I am interested in upgrading - I will start by adding a yellow pair for low light. Do you know what conditions the green or blue (or any other color) lenses are optimum for? What is the difference between Polarchromic and Polarized?

Last edited:

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
This link has me more confused than ever! I have been using $20 cheapie polarized for years. My current pair, from Ted Fay, is either amber or copper - not sure. I am interested in upgrading - I will start by adding a yellow pair for low light. Do you know what conditions the green or blue (or any other color) lenses are optimum for? What is the difference between Polarchromic and Polarized?
i used to snowboard with a blue lens, and i still do with green. they are a mid-high light lens. so a sunny day but with some clouds

if you look at the VLT% that is telling you how much light it lets in. the smaller % the sunnier it should be. something >20% is usually a sunny day lens 20-40% is a mid and about 50-80% is for those super dark days.

maccadon3000

Reaction score
First of all, I decided to get both colors: amber and copper. If you fish streams mostly, and I had to choose one color, I would use the polarchromic copper(reddish brown). Polarchromic means they are polarized lenses that change in darkness the brighter that it is outside. It is subtle, but quite noticeable. In darker conditions, the lenses will lighten the tint. It's pretty cool. They are right, in bright conditions, amber(yellowish) polarchromic just don't block enough light. Both provide great detail on streams and for sight fishing. The polarchromic copper also lighten enough to be usable in lower light situations and are perfect on a sunny day also. So, froma person who was on the fence and couldnt decide, so i just boight both colors, if i had to buy one color for fishing/everyday use, get the polarchromic copper you wont be disappointed Spend the extra money on a great pair of sunglasses. Smith, in my very humble opinion are the best quality lenses you can get. Not to mention they have excellent customer service and a lifetime warranty. You only get one set of eyes. Take care of them with good optics. The strain you avoid with better lenses is immeasurable. Not to mention it will blow you away how much clearer things are with good glass lenses.

Last edited:

kfisher99

Reaction score
I have Smith polarchromic copper lenses and they work fantastic for any water I'm fishing anytime of the day pretty much.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Even though my favorite sunglasses are glass Smith's in an amber/copper color, I end up fishing with some of my plastic ones with interchangeable lenses of different colors. Even though some of the plastic ones are more expensive than my Smiths, I don't like them as well since the plastic seems to attract dust more. However, I'm always concerned about eye protection from an errant fly, and I'm not sure how protective glass lenses are from that. I never see the fishing-oriented glass sunglasses say whether they are resistent to cracking and ejecting a glass shard into your eye in case of high speed impact from a weighted fly. I'm also wondering whether any glass sunglasses come with interchangeable lenses.

maccadon3000

Reaction score
Even though my favorite sunglasses are glass Smith's in an amber/copper color, I end up fishing with some of my plastic ones with interchangeable lenses of different colors. Even though some of the plastic ones are more expensive than my Smiths, I don't like them as well since the plastic seems to attract dust more. However, I'm always concerned about eye protection from an errant fly, and I'm not sure how protective glass lenses are from that. I never see the fishing-oriented glass sunglasses say whether they are resistent to cracking and ejecting a glass shard into your eye in case of high speed impact from a weighted fly. I'm also wondering whether any glass sunglasses come with interchangeable lenses.
I am no expert on the shatter resistance of smith glass lenses, but I've taken a few bass bugs to the face/glasses with no scratch, chip, break, shatter, etc. They are pretty strong lenses, as I'm sure costas kaenon and any other high quality sport oriented glass lens would be. I am pretty sure they are considered " impact resistant". I'll have to do some research about this....

billydafish

Reaction score
I always just use straight up black polarized lenses, as I feel it has less of a chance to mess with the coloration of what I'm spotting. IMO just get a good quality, shatter and scratch resistant pair that has good protection and polarization and pick whatever color floats your boat... even if you don't get black like me.

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
I am no expert on the shatter resistance of smith glass lenses, but I've taken a few bass bugs to the face/glasses with no scratch, chip, break, shatter, etc. They are pretty strong lenses, as I'm sure costas kaenon and any other high quality sport oriented glass lens would be. I am pretty sure they are considered " impact resistant". I'll have to do some research about this....
they are shatter resistant, they soak the glass in some chemical and it will never shatter, not never breaking? not to sure about that. but you dont have to worrry about they fly scratching the glass or shattering it when it hits you in the eye (i sell these things all the time i know tons about their glasses)

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
so just got my smith backdrops in. i wanted the mahogany frame instead of tortoise so i went with copper lens.... the copper is great when theres clouds but i mostly fish blue birds and need something a little darker.

EDIT-- i can tell they are not what i want after i wore them for a bit today. posted them for sale on here if anyone wants to pick them up pm me.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...nal/170497-smith-backdrops-fs.html#post299473

Last edited: