Rod for Great Lakes Salmon and Steel...need desprite help~

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
Im taking a friend who IS an experienced fly fisherman (smaller species) Salmon fishing in upper Michigan. His biggest rod is a fast 6 wt. Will he be horribly under gunned for Great Lakes Salmon of the typical variety? I know this will not be ideal, but for a one week once in a lifetime trip should he be ok? Also, if anyone has any favorite ways to fish these guys im all ears! Were talking Betsie river Salmon in particular...never fished here myself. There is the chance for some early steel for which the 6 should do fine...on the light side i suppose.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Contact a fly shop up there and find out what the average weight on the kings is in that river. You'll want to know if the Coho are also going to be present. I've landed kings up to 20 pound on a 9' 7 weight and probably could have done them on a 6. If the fish can run heavy (like 30+) then I would just look for an affordable 8 or 9 weight rig. When fishing for kings the reel becomes important because big ones will burn up drags quick and clickers are out unless you have a Marquis 3 and a glove on the palming hand :)

I used a 9 weight for kings on NY rivers and was not with too much rod, ever.

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Ard

Ive got the reel situation covered for him, but i only have one 8 weight rod and so i cant loan him one. He is a bit apprehensive to buy one as he doesn't think this will become regular for him...i only go for Salmon once or twice a year myself which explains why i only have one heavy rod...How did you make out with the quakes and all up there?

Jackster

Reaction score
Years ago I took a friend to the Muskegon salmon fishing. We thought for sure his 7 weight was going to explode. If your friend goes with a 7 weight or under I would recommend a rod with a very good warranty and that he wear eye protection.

ddombos2

Reaction score
Most guys up here will use 7-9wt rods for fall salmon and steelhead. 7-8 weights are often used on steelhead and 8-9 weights on the salmon. I fish 9'-0" rods because I don't really specialize in this type of fishing. People who really target these fish will recommend a 9'-6" or a 10'-0" rods.

---
I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.222536,-85.711305"]Google Maps[/ame]

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
In my opinion a 6 wt. is not going to do it for Betsie River Salmon as bruisers are a distinct possibility and that rod could be a memory at the end of the trip.

As an aside, I've seen serious snagging equipment when I was up there last year for Steel (that I pulled in as a snag).

Cheers,
Mike.

caseywise

Reaction score
We slept right through it :)

You can get an 8 weight from this guy for 79 - 89 dollars. I have a 9 weight as a backup rod and it works fine. Both Nancy and I have caught salmon using it and it did the job.

New! LaCrosse Custom Rod: Montana Fly Rod 9FT 8WT 2PC | eBay

Take a look, these are 2 piece but..............
i know it isn't in your weight category, but my wife has a 6'6" 2 weight lacrosse rod and she loves it!:D
i've fished it a few times and really like it as well.
great rod at great price IMO.

casey

chicagojohn

Reaction score
Finding a quick combo to fish for king salmon isn't like picking up an inexpensive fly rod to use on a short trout fishing trip. The size and power of the fish require a better rod and a reel with a powerful drag system. Usually lower priced gear compromises performance when targeting fish of this size. Here, the reel does more than hold line, and the rod will certainly be tested to its limit.

I recently went into Cabela’s and watched a man walk up to the fly shop attendant and ask him if a rod and reel in a box was a good outfit for his trip to Alaska where he was going to fish for salmon. The attendant was polite, however; I wanted to tell the customer he was about to go "hunt bears with a pellet gun" if he purchased that setup, or anything within $150 of it. You don't need to break the bank, but if it is truly a once in a lifetime trip, spend a little extra to get the gear to ensure the memories match the expectations.

I'd recommend a 8-10 weight for salmon up in the Betsie area. If you go heavier, it will help you turn the salmon in tight quarters. A 9 or 10 weight would be usable for pike / musky on future trips and would justify the purchase of a heavier rod. If fishing for steelhead and salmon, an 8 weight would be a versatile outfit and could be used for pike and bass.

I'd recommend talking to Schmidt Outfitters in Wellston, Michigan. The shop is anywhere from 35 mintues to an hour south of where you will be fishing. I visited a few other shops in the Traverse City area, but the customer service and hospitality didn't come close to Schmidt Outfitters. They also have rooms you can rent if you are looking for a place to stay & fish with a guide service.

As far as specific reel recommendations, I would recommend anything in the Lamson Guru, Velocity, or Lightspeed class of reels. All of these reels have the same sealed drag system until you get into the #4 Lightspeed model. The only difference is the amount of aluminum machined from the reel, and difference in standard versus hard alox finish. A Guru 3.5 is $229 and holds 200 yards of 9 weight line. This gets you the best drag with a fully machined reel for the lowest price point in the Lamson lineup. If you need to go cheaper, a Konic has the same drag system in a cast reel.

With rods, you can purchase an Echo Ion for $190 or an Echo Edge for $250, and you get a rod tube with each price class. The extra few bucks for the Echo Edge is justified by saltwater safe componts and a better reel seat. A St. Croix Imperial will run you $220.

Your line will be the most important purhcase you make. Be attentive to depth and current. You may want to look at a line such as Rio Versi Tip to be able to fish multiple differnt depths and currents. This is where fly fishing will become more difficult than just chucking hardware or float rigs through the current.

$490 will get you a Lamson Guru and an Echo Ion 9 weight rod. If you find the right fly shop, you could probably get a standard line and backing thrown in for free on this combo. You could also get free shipping and avoid sales tax if you order it online and have it shipped to you, so your end price point will not drift over the $500 mark.

A less expensive option would include a standard spinning reel and longer medium heavy - heavy steelhead or salmon rod with a float bobber and spawn, or a few Mepps spinners. Again, a St. Croix Wild River spinning rod could run anywhere from $160 - $180.

Good luck on the trip & be sure to post some photos on the Great Lakes board when you are finished!

Last edited:

burk48237

Reaction score
I believe the perfect single hand rod for Salmon is a 9 1/2 foot 9 weight. You want to be able to protect tippet down to about 8 pound flouro carbon, and you have to be able to lean on 10-30 pound fish in serious current with lots of cover. While you could perhaps land with with a six weight it is far to little rod for either Salmon or Steelhead on MI rivers. The Betsy averages about 800-1000 CFS in the fall, thats compared to a 200 CFS current on most Lk. Erie Steelhead Streams. I'd also suggest a fairly serious reel with a decent drag.

I use two handers and fish indicators. My rod of choice is a 13 foot 8 weight spey rod. I was on the Betsy two weeks ago for about two hours between calls and hooked 11 and landed three. It is loaded with fish right now, I'm headed up Tuesday night.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Hodge

Reaction score
Well...i got him to buy an 8 weight. He picked up a Cabelas rod a couple days ago and is ready to go. Me on the other hand...not so sure now. You all have me psyched out. I was going to use my steelhead rod but it sounds like everyone thinks it will be too light. I have landed countless Erie and Superior trib steelies and Superior Pinks with it, but the biggest beasite was probably 12lbs. I went to Cabelas today in fact to buy a specific Salmon rod but i couldn't pull the trigger. I guess im going to go at it with what i have...and ill report back. Wish me luck!

rockriver

Reaction score
I recently talked to a friend who lives for Steelhad in the spring and Salmon in the fall here in Michigan's U.P. He reccommend's a 6 or 7 wt. if you don't intend to horse them in. I have a 9 ft. 6 wt. Z-Axis on the way now for this fishing.

Jackster

Reaction score
I recently talked to a friend who lives for Steelhad in the spring and Salmon in the fall here in Michigan's U.P. He reccommend's a 6 or 7 wt. if you don't intend to horse them in. I have a 9 ft. 6 wt. Z-Axis on the way now for this fishing.
Seriously, I think with a 6 weight you're going to be way undergunned for Lower Penninsula salmon and steel anyhow. As I said earlier, we were amazed a 7 weight Loomis didn't explode with some of the salmon we had on. With Michigan steelhead you could get by with a 6 weight but for salmon, make sure your reel is as smooth and strong as can be and that your rod has a great warranty. Forget about horsing the fish, steering it clear of cover and landing it quickly enough that it survives the fight. Those salmon and steelhead.can get big and strong and they somehow know how to use currect to their benefit.

burk48237

Reaction score
Good luck! Tred Barta landed a sailfish on 2 lb test while in a wheelchair, so that seems to suggest anything is possible!

I wonder how many log jams were around were he hooked that sailfish?:D

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Seriously, I think with a 6 weight you're going to be way undergunned for Lower Penninsula salmon and steel anyhow. As I said earlier, we were amazed a 7 weight Loomis didn't explode with some of the salmon we had on. With Michigan steelhead you could get by with a 6 weight but for salmon, make sure your reel is as smooth and strong as can be and that your rod has a great warranty. Forget about horsing the fish, steering it clear of cover and landing it quickly enough that it survives the fight. Those salmon and steelhead.can get big and strong and they somehow know how to use currect to their benefit.
I couldn't agree more. I just got off the Betsy river today, I'll post some pics for tomorrow. Landed 8 kings, hooked maybe thirty. Saw one broken 9 foot 8 weight, one broken 9 foot 9 weight, and my buddy blew up a 12 -8 weight switch rod. The early rivers in NW MI are loaded with agressive strong fresh fish. There are a few streams (lower Platte) where you can get away with a long seven for Kings. But not on rivers like the Betsy, Pere Marquette, Manisteee with powerful current, lot's of logs and a lot of bends. Every fish I landed today I had to follow for at least fifty yards. I had 10-12 Fish into my backing with a 110 foot spey line and 8 or 10 pound flouro leaders.

I'll post pics tommorow but I've been in the salmon game a long time, and a six weight is asking for it on Lake MI fish. These Fish are chrome and strong, they literally wear you out. Oh and every color worked as long as it was black. I probably went thru thirty flies today, better be good at rigging. I got all my fish on yarn indicators in slots with a couple of bb split shot. Walking out I saw a couple of runs with 50-60 fish in them.

burk48237

Reaction score
Here, I promised some pics. One other note, a few have mentioned fishing in the UP, The average lake Superior fish (excluding St Marys river) are much smaller (shorter growing season) than the fish out of Lake MI or Lake Huron. As you can see from below, this is not six weight territory::cool:

Here's my buddy Matt in a "hero shot"

And one of him fighting a fish, I hope this gives you some idea of the tight quarters and clear water you're dealing with.

auriemma

Reaction score
I know this may be considered lower end, but I bought an Orvis Streamline2 kit (on sale for $150, was $200) for steelhead for an upcoming trip in November. The Clearwater reel isn't up to the task. The drag is very weak IMHO. I paired it with an Access IV reel. I've been getting used to it by chasing bass... I like it.

rockriver

Reaction score
I owe you Southern Guys in the L.P. a apology on selecting a rod. I never knew Lake Michigan Salmon got that big. That's some beautiful fish and something to look forward to next year when I retire and probably move into 7 or 8 weight rods.