Cold Snap

thecatpoop

Reaction score
Here we go, first snow here in colorado, and the days will only get colder. Motivating to gear up and get in the drink is getting harder every day. I thought that this would be a good time to share some winter advice, talk about size 22 nymphs, merino wool socks, or cheep flights south. I just got some new thermals and hope that they will do the trick. Oh and forget about waking up early, its the dark side of the moon untill 11 anyway:yikes:

bobafett

Reaction score
I just returned from the fly shop...got some more bead heads and rubber legs...and some (ahem!) rapalas...we ended up getting about 4 inches total, and its starting to clear out today...going for a 4 day bender around the palisades and south fork of the snake. Winter is for fishing...I am headed back to Mississippii in November to set the Largemouth bass state record on the fly...11lbs 6 oz. Our family pond had a 14 lb caught and released this summer, and 5-10 over 10 lbs...

who's got my heady big brown?

yatahey

Reaction score
Ten inches here today. Past first snows as follows.
2010 1" Oct 12
2009 Sept 22 4inches
2008 Oct 21st 6 inches
2007 Oct 12 1 inch
2006 Oct 7 6 inches

russellb

Reaction score
Hey CP-

Yeah, gearing up can be a drag but as you have the Roaring Fork on your doorstep I'd be trying to extend that season as long as possible. Then I would bounce up the road to Basalt and fish the 'Pan where I would expect stable water temps being it is a tailwater. I would think many of the fair weather tourists would bail by late October and you might have some peace on the upper parts.

I never fished the Crystal much although I have spent some time around it, I guess I was too romanced by the Roaring Fork up by Wood Creek and the Pan canyon just above Basalt. Man, I really need to get back out there....

Russell

Bigfly

Reaction score
We got about 4-6 inches of fluff on the 5th of Oct.
It's all gone now, but I know it will be back.
My favorite part of winter, is the first blast that triggers the Browns spawn.
Streamer time! Don't even need Christmas after that.
Patch your waders, it's gonna get chilly..

Jim