Waders Simms vs Orvis vs Patagonia

shotgunfly

Reaction score
It's that time. I'm in the market for a durable pair of waders. I know SIMMS are well received but how do Orvis Silver Label (~$300) and Patagonia Rio Gallegos (~$450) compare to the SIMMS G3 (~$450). I'm really looking for some first hand experience with these products. All 3 companies stand behind their products well enough. Thanks for your time.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Simms waders. I also like Patagonia gear in general but have never used their waders because my first pair of Simms Guide waders that are now 6 or 7 years old are still perfect.

And for equal money, I am going to buy the product that is manufactured right here in my home state of Montana.

hunter1

Reaction score
X2 on Simms. I still have a pair of giude waders from late 90's. I do take care of them. I think they wear like iron. No leaks as of yet. I use them about 50 to 60 days a year, also have Simms neopren waders also for cold winter days.:thumbsup:

dhayden

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Simms waders. I also like Patagonia gear in general but have never used their waders because my first pair of Simms Guide waders that are now 6 or 7 years old are still perfect.

And for equal money, I am going to buy the product that is manufactured right here in my home state of Montana.
+10

Over the years.. I've had a lot of equipment.. never been sorry for buying Simms

I've become a Simms packrat now.. my basements starting to look like a Simms catalog

It's really nice they're right up the road too.. had a little problem with a set... no warrrany thing, but they just fixed them while I waited...

jaybo41

Reaction score
I have had several pair of Orvis waders through the years, one of them being an older model Silver Label. They all seem to last about the same amount of time before leaking happens. I'll say 3-4 years on average with somewhere in the range of 20-60 days on the water, with maybe 10-14 of those days being all day excursions. The kind where you're in your boots from sun up to sun down. The rest of the time it's more or less a day or evening trip. I don't have experience with the newest version of Silver Labels, but I do have an older model Pro Guide version and a set of the Sonic Seams that I use for warm weather wading. The Pro Guides developed a leak, so I contacted Orvis and they repaired them free of charge. I only paid for one way shipping. The Sonic Seams are comfortable enough, pack down very light, but they don't have a decent flip out pocket and the suspender system is **** poor. I used my PG suspenders and replaced the ones that came on the Sonic Seams. These are very light boots and don't have the multi layers that the PG's do. Good for warmer weather, not my first choice for cool/cold weather and bush whacking.

When my PG's leaked, I was in the middle of Steelie Season and wanted to replace those with something that would be durable and more heavy in the leg. I went the Simms route. The G3's, while expensive, breathe better than any boot I have owned. They are very comfortable, have all of the features I was looking for in a boot and the quality is exceptional in comparison to the Orvis boots I've owned. Not to say the Orvis boots have bad quality, but the ones I've tried are of lesser quality than the Simms. Simms gear isn't cheap, but the Simms products I've used have held up very very well. I have yet to test them on CS, but my bud has plenty of times and had great results each time. They will also inspect your waders within the first year and repair anything they find free of charge.

I tried a set of Patagonia's on and they were pretty nice boots. The wool lined booties are a nice touch. They have a nice suspender system that lets you drop the upper down pretty quick and obviously, Patagonia's warranty is iron clad. The lack of hand warmer pocket was a deal breaker for me, and I really wanted Gore Tex boots. I've had a hand warmer chest pocket for a while and find myself using it often.

Best advise I can offer is to try them on. Orvis has a fuller fit through the legs and Simms is much more close fitting. Patagonia seems to be somewhere in between. The set that fits the best is going to be your best bet long term.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Thanks for the indepth take jaybo. I checked out some youtube reviews and got my hands on both at the local fly shop. My final decision depends on an actual try on (they on order) of the Rios. I'll update later with my thoughts.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Shotgun,

The replies and especially the one from jaybo are testament to the guys here. You ask they tell you, they tell you what they know based on personal experiences with the products. I'm glad to see you posting with us and I hope to see you become a regular here.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

PS. I've owned a bunch of waders, never had a company that didn't cover the products, I'm using simms now G3. They are nice people to deal with down there.

Joni

Reaction score
I have been using Orvis Pro Guides since 2004. I did have them replaced in 2007 and have been using them leak free (knock on wood) every since. I use them 60+ days a year easy, but I use hip waders on stillwater pontooning.
What will I buy next......SIMMS
I picked up a pair of the zippered Willy J breathables at their year end sale for $30. for Mojo. It was a what you see is what you get sale. They looked New and even had tags attached. He put them on and sat in the tub...wohoo no leaks! Been 3 years and still no leaks.

I will buy Simms because I need custom. I am 5'8" with a 36" inseam and ladies size eight foot. I am tired of buying biiger boots to accomodate the more neoprene bootie.

jcw355

Reaction score
I am tired of buying bigger boots to accomodate the more neoprene bootie.
This is why I went with simms. My redington front zip fit good except for the feet, good for my son in law because he got them. Fit him fine. I have had my Simms G4Z's for almost a year now and got an email from them telling me to send them in for a checkup to see if anything needs to be done to them at no cost. I hate to be without them but how can you pass up something like that. I guess I'll wear the ol neoprene waders for now. Very satisfied with my Simms.

Joni

Reaction score
This is why I went with simms. My redington front zip fit good except for the feet, good for my son in law because he got them. Fit him fine. I have had my Simms G4Z's for almost a year now and got an email from them telling me to send them in for a checkup to see if anything needs to be done to them at no cost. I hate to be without them but how can you pass up something like that. I guess I'll wear the ol neoprene waders for now. Very satisfied with my Simms.
Ah come on, just wet wade!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have used all the waders mentioned here. The Orvis are OK, made in China. The Patagonias are Chinese too and have an odd suspender suspension system that does not work for me (I like their wading boot best though). The Simms G3's are the best of the lot and Made in Montana as well...but I don't get no decade out of 'em! Mine have returned to Bozeman twice and now they have said, "last time, don't send them back, we cant patch patches". So I am retiring them to back-ups and have bought the new Redington sonic-sealed seam waders but have yet to use them. Cloudvale is enjoying an accelerating reputation too and, I have not checked recently, but LL Bean used to sell a USA made authentic submersable Gore Tex model with perferated neoprene yolk-style suspenders that was of terrific quality, maybe better than the Simms. All it lacked was Simms' wonderful soft and silent fabric "hand", the Bean's were slick and swishy.

Joni

Reaction score
Really? I figured Simms waders were made in china now as well. Their boots are. Not that it matters all that much as the quality is still there.

evan_aff

Reaction score
Really? I figured Simms waders were made in china now as well. Their boots are. Not that it matters all that much as the quality is still there.
All the Simms Goretex waders are USA, the non-Goretex are Chinese.

As far as waders, I'm definitely a Simms guy.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've had my Simms Guides over ten years, and have never even had to patch a leak.

For the average angler, I think picking the cheapest Simms waders with Gore-Tex is a solid investment. (you probably don't need the durability of the pricier models)

Side-note: Gore-Tex is the only waterproof/breathable laminate that isn't dissolved by Deet. If you're ever taking them to Alaska, this is relevant, period.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Cloudvale is enjoying an accelerating reputation too
I *think* Cloudveil is out of the fishing business?

Side-note: Gore-Tex is the only waterproof/breathable laminate that isn't dissolved by Deet
Cliff that's an excellent point to bring up another great aspect of Gore-Tex. I think it also breathes better than any other of the breathable wader or shell type jacket materials.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I've been wearing the Orvis Sonicseam Pack n Travel waders, and they are excellent. I'm a new convert from Neo's, and I'd absolutely recommend the waders if you need something packable. But I may still be shellshocked by how awesome breathables are to be a good reviewer...

caseywise

Reaction score
i currently use a pair of patty guides. certainly not as bomb proof as the g4's, but i'm not looking for that in my waders. as far as the suspension system, i love it! i wear them waist high allot of the time and the patty system works for me.
plus, patagonias customer service/warrant service is outstanding!!

casey