April or May wading opportunities in the Rockies

jmc5000

Reaction score
Hello,

I've found myself between jobs and would really like to capitalize on this rare stretch of free time to get n some early season fishing in the Rockies. I've been reviewing several MT guide service sites for conditions reports and understand it is really early to be planning a trip out west (from VA) but hoping someone can point me in the right direction for early season wade-in fishing. Also open to floating and alpine lakes but want to keep costs down and not focus on floating/drifting with a guide service. I've fished around the Paradise Valley in MT and Yellowstone NP but, not little else in that area. Would think that some tailwater areas could be productive but not really familiar with what can be productive in early spring. Prefer to be in an area within a couple hundred miles of a major airport in WY, MT, CO but am considering driving since I have a couple of weeks to kill. Any help from you folks out there or who are making plans would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jerry

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Hello Jerry,
The early Spring or late Fall are great times to fish The Green River below Flaming Gorge, after that you can head west a couple hours and hit The Provo River around Heber City and then head North to Idaho and fish the Box Canyon and lower Henry's Fork around Ashton and St Anthony, this area always fishes well in the early season and is very accessible by wading.

Good luck and have fun wherever you go.

Davo

Reaction score
Jackson Hole is an option right now. I've floated two days this week and at current water levels the wade fishing opportunity is there on the Snake River. You can check out my last two fishing reports in the Rocky Mountain section. There should be a 3rd report after tomorrow as my friwnd and guiding boss are headed out again. If a float is an option to you you can click the link in my signature to check out the service or give Greg a call. Tell him Davo sent you.

Reportshttp://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...range/260838-snake-river-trip-4-2-2012-a.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...795-snake-river-jackson-hole-4-07-2012-a.html

jmc5000

Reaction score
Fyshstykr/Davo - thanks for the suggestions. Fished the Provo years ago when family member lived in SLC. Easy access for sure. Also love Jackson Hole and it's a great location as well.

Thanks again and hope to hear more... Will check out your link Davo. May be open to floating depending on conditions and budget.

Jerry

eddyfisher

Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

The rivers in Central Colorado including the Arkansas, Eagle, Roaring Fork, Blue and Colorado are all fishing great. All are within a 2-3 hours drive from Denver and all offer lots of public wading waters.

jmc5000

Reaction score
Thank you for th CO info eddyfisher. Been away from the site for a few days but still in the planning phase for this trip and plan on being in CO for a few days.