how much "modifcation" is too much to a classic trout fly?

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Working on re stocking my fly box, made it to town today and resupplied on flashabou, bead heads, peacock herl and brown biots but I forgot to buy some more white biots and some brown hackle.

Working right now at getting a healthy supply of prince nymphs and was curious if it is 100% mandatory to have hackle on a prince?

I have a few white biots but could I make a "flashback" prince by replacing the white biots with my whitish flashabou?

Im just curious how much you can actually change on a fly before it begins to imitate and represent another bug or insect.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Personally, I feel the only time you have to be careful when making changes is when tying dry flies, as you may not end up with something that really mimics the natural or even floats correctly. But, with nymphs, wet flies & streamers, you can do about anything you want. I hate tying with biots, always have, and never liked how they're so stiff. So, whenever I tie patterns that call for them, I usually substitute rubber or silicone leg material instead. Still looks similar, and for me has worked just fine. I also like the Flashback version of a Prince.

silver creek

Reaction score
Go to the post office and get a free tyvek priority mail envelope. Cut substitutes for the white biot wings out of the tyvek. They work fine.

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Just received a Tyvek envelope, going to have to try it out. Thanks :cool:

I got looking at my fly box and found a prince that I bought up in Montana and the back wing things are flashy material (almost like an extra extra wide mylar) but they are flat and cut exactly to the shape of biots. Should I try to do something more like these or just make a bit of a cape out of flashabou? (heck Might just make both for kicks and giggles)

Dry flys I dont mess with, I honestly dont even tie them because mine never float or hold up like the ones I buy in shops.

txshane

Reaction score
If the fish don't like it, then you made the wrong changes. If fish eat it, then good job!

trout333

Reaction score
Sky's the limit! How about using the brown biots for the wings? I tie a "Ginger Prince" that is ginger biots for the tail and wings. Works great!