My Opening Day

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
The catch & release Bass season opened up here in Michigan this weekend. I have been jonesing for Smallie fishing since last December. So hit the water solo yesterday and was very nice to be back out ripping streamers for my favorite freshwater species...

Didn't get any monsters, but lots in the 12"-16" range "and a few even smaller than that" were willing to hit my Bad Hair Day...

Little guy, but first Smallie of Twenty Twelve...

Always nice to see a watershed coming to life in the Spring...

If you look real closely, Sasquatch is standing on the river bank on the right of the photo here ;)

My phone has this panorama photo setting that I just found while messing around the other day, took this photo using that...

That's about it, was just a relaxing day on the water by myself, was much needed...

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Those 12-16" smallies can be real scrappers, which makes them so much fun to fly fish for. Now how luck is that, you captured a photo of Sasquatch is standing on the river bank!!!! :D:D

kwb

Reaction score
Those 12-16" smallies can be real scrappers, which makes them so much fun to fly fish for. Now how luck is that, you captured a photo of Sasquatch is standing on the river bank!!!! :D:D
:D Yeah, I just wish I would have noticed the Squatch when I took the photo, would have went on over for a better shot! LOL

riverbilly

Reaction score
Spring is in the air. Looks nice, and nice bass too.
Can you tell me more about that fly, bet my bass would like it too.

mrl0004

Reaction score
I find it funny that your "small guys" are big to me. Maybe I need to fish somewhere else! Nice report!

kwb

Reaction score
Spring is in the air. Looks nice, and nice bass too.
Can you tell me more about that fly, bet my bass would like it too.
The fly is a pattern developed years and years ago by my Friend Dave Pinczkowski. He calls it a "Bad Hair Day". It has a lot of different variations, but the one in the photo is simply white craft fur tied in backwards and folded back, I did this twice starting on the back end of the shank of the hook, then wrapped a little lead on the shank ahead of that and then tied in another clump of white craft fur facing backwards and folded it back. I then tied in a few strands of polar flash. For the head I tied in a clump of minnow belly grey senyo dubbing like you would a wool head, flicked the hook hard so that it evened out around the shank to form a more rounded head and whip finished the thread.

They are cheap, easy and fast to tie. They have more movement than any other fly I have ever seen and they simply flutter perfectly, every little twitch of the line makes them literally swim...

We keep one out at the cabin if you need photos, nice report.

Ard
I got to get up there and see this! LOL

Congrats on get out on the water and catching some!! Thanks for sharing the photos!;)
Thank you Davo!

I find it funny that your "small guys" are big to me. Maybe I need to fish somewhere else! Nice report!
I would say our average Smallies are in the 12" - 16" range, you do get a 20"+ here and there, especially in the Fall...

theboz

Reaction score
Wow! That is a great looking water! Those smallies are so much fun no matter what size. Love the fly to great baitfish profile. Thanks for a terrific bunch of pics.