"hat" love

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
Seen the other 'love' threads for rod, reel and fly box. What about one for your favorite fishing hat? Lets see 'em!!
I'll start.

I wear this one mostly, or i have a camo cap i wear when the creek is real clear.
I would like to get a brim hat, but have yet to find one i like.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
ok this could be fun,, I have a have problem... Ill leave it at that. Ill get some photos soon. I found a cheap brim hat at wallyworld, not great but ok. Still looking for the 'right' one myself.

Sub'ed. this should be fun.
Mike

evan_aff

Reaction score
My hat is whatever hat I can fit on my head... Which isn't many. No company makes a ball style cap that fits my head. The adjustable snap back kind will sometimes fit on the last snap adjustment... But then the hat looks so stretched that it's just weird. My Simms size XL flexfit hat is stretched to oblivion... And the "flex" no longer flexes.

At a trade show two weeks ago, I told the custom hat builder at the booth next to me he didn't have a hat in his booth that would fit me.. He laughed and set one on my head... And set it did... on TOP of my head, not where it should. He said it was the biggest head he had ever tried to put a hat on.

There is my sob story for you.

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
ok this could be fun,, I have a have problem... Ill leave it at that. Ill get some photos soon. I found a cheap brim hat at wallyworld, not great but ok. Still looking for the 'right' one myself.

Sub'ed. this should be fun.
Mike
was it the mossy oak or realtree one? i almsost bought it, and probly will just to have some protection on the back of my neck and ears, etc.

webrx

Reaction score
I'm like MB, I think I have a problem, I have a ton of hats golf hats, jeep hats, camo hats, fishing hats, military hats, cowboy hats, beenies, winter hats,

I'm ok though because I don't have one of those with the built in sun shades down the back, and I don't own a buff (yet).

d

mbphotos54

Reaction score
was it the mossy oak or realtree one? i almsost bought it, and probly will just to have some protection on the back of my neck and ears, etc.
actully it was in the clothing dept.. its light OD green. Ill pile the hat collection up for a photo, this will be scary..

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Kayo! It's you! Putting a Face to The Name :D

I have a few:

The Gerber complete with Flip Focal :cool:

Very appropriate at times is this 'Life is Good' fish hat by Jake :)

The ever popular Chevy hat; I got 2 with the truck. Thanks Chevy :bowdown:

A favorite vintage North Face that I talked a dealer out of :D

From Tuntutuliak and a nice Elder Woman there, Beaver with a Russian Blue Fox top & tail. It's warm :)

An old picture but I wear it every winter, Donagal Tweed by David Hanna & Sons. Great hat another warm one.

There are more but I'll need to find the pictures.............

Good thread :D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I got myself a free Winston Rod Co. hat back in 2004 at the big tackle show in Denver but never wore it until I got that Winston Spey rod last year. Now I'll have it worn out before summer :D I would love to have a Hardy cap but after all their reels that I've bought over the past 34 years I can't pay for a hat! All of my favorites were free with a purchase or a dealer gave them to me to get rid of me :icon_razz A couple were gifts.

All except the fur hat, that one cost a bunch.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I collected fly shop logo hats for a while and I'll wear a couple of them, but not while fishing.
When I fish, I nearly always wear an "up-downer" (like Lefty). It's not necessarily for sun protection, but that's good too.
More importantly, I can flip the back down to protect the back of my head from the wind. Headaches from a cold breeze blowing down your neck will ruin a fishing trip every time.

Davo

Reaction score
I always wear a ball cap. I have a wide assortment with no real favorite at the moment. All the old favorites have been worn out to the point they are non functional. I'll have to take a photo of the current assortment and post it later.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This thread is a great compliment to rod and reel love...I think of my hats as equipment too. I have a bunch; new and old with and without logos, cotton and synthetic but what is most important to me is that they feature a long bill. This not only shades my face from sun but, importantly, my Rx Polarized sun glasses too which enhances my vision. I rarely go fishing without having 2 or 3 from my collection along to suite conditions: how hot, how windy, how stylish (just kidding) or how lucky. I prefere no brand names; if you want me to wear a Budweisser or Orvis hat, pay me to advertise for you!

Here is a relativly new hat made of sun protecting micro fiber, it is light weight, velcro adjustable, has a mesh lining for air circulation, stays on OK when up on plane, has no writing on it and featurs a 4 1/2" long bill.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
This is my lucky/favorite hat.... im very supersitous about it.

I forgot it when we went to Colorado, thats why we got nearly skumked. my favorite non-fishing hat is a realtree camo one I got from my dad's work, much to my wife's dismay.

cattech89

Reaction score
Lovin this thread!
My favorite hat is a worn out, used-to-be-almost-black CAT hat. I only wear it when fishing now. Its too comfortable to wear anywhere else. That and my wife won't let me wear it anywhere else. :D
Ill have to get a picture to post.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Like many others, I have too many hats, but here's three I actually have pics of. The first one was my lucky hat, A St. Croix baseball cap made of waxed cotton. I called it lucky after a good friend hit me in the head with a huge half ounce spinnerbait. The guy is twice my size and he hit me so hard trying to cast it I actually dropped to my knees and saw stars. When I recovered I found a two inch tear in the hat, but other than a good bump, I was unscathed. A day later, I caught my first brown trout ever, a two-footer, wearing my lucky hat. Unfortunately, I lost this hat and have been trying to replace it.

This is a good warm hat, and has been appropriately beaten up to look aged and weathered.

But this boonie hat I picked up at an army surplus might be the new lucky hat, and it goes on every fishing trip.

Peace.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I also collected "found" hats fore a while and everyone "found"was found on the beach.
The best one had a company logo on it that had nothing to do with fishing, but the hat itself had spent so much time in the surf that it was a soft as a cotton diaper.
Except for one thing..
It had barnacles growing on it. :D. I thought that was the coolest thing

My wife washed it and killed off the barnacles :(
hey... it was free, and how much good luck do you need while fishing anyway