PDA

View Full Version : anybody know anything about waders?

surprisevalley
12-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Hey everybody-

I just started fly fishing a couple of years ago, and I've decided to finally invest in a pair of waders so I can fish year round (it's pretty cold in the hills of Virginia this time of year). I'm looking to get something of the stockingfoot variety with a wading boot, but I really don't know much about them. I fish 3-4 days a week now, and I'm headed out to Colorado or Montana for a few years starting this summer so I need something that'll last me. That having been said, I'm looking for something pretty cheap. So if anybody has any advice it would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks-JH

BigCliff
12-27-2007, 09:43 AM
At risk of being rude, I think going cheap is foolish, given how much you're going to be using these waders. I would get these Simms Fishing Products : : RiverTekâ„¢ Stockingfoots (http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/rivertek_stockingfoots.html) or something still better, because Simms waders really are worth their price. (well, maybe not the G4's)

I don't think these would do you wrong either- Simms Fishing Products : : L2 Wading Boot - Aqua (http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/l2_wading_boot_aqua.html)

tie one on
12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Buying good equipment never hurts. We've covered
somewhat of the same subject about rods, reels, etc.
Going a little cheaper maybe reasonable for someone just
starting out, not knowing they'll be in it for the long haul.

I agree with Cliff. If you intend on fishing to that degree
you will be far better off buying a pair of waders/boots
that will stand the test. I personally have not spent $300
or so on my waders, but I'm not in the water 3-4 days a
week. (It would be great, but can't happen)

Tie One On

Frank Whiton
12-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi surprisevalley,

I think Cliff is dead on target. You will not be disappointed in the Simms products. They use GoreTex and other quality materials. This makes them more expensive but worth every dollar.

Frank

racine
01-16-2008, 12:59 AM
I wish I could find someone to take all the cheap fill-ins I've purchased over the years that I've never used or used once and learned. Get some good waders and be done with it. I've never used my neoprenes, non-breathable rain jacket, non-breathable lightweight waders, cheap boots, cheap vest, etc. again since getting the real McCoys. Though I've got to admit the choices available today at reasonable prices is staggering and they work! Oh BTW, Pataguccis, Simms, Dan Baileys, all work and have good warranties.