PDA

View Full Version : Hello

driftless
07-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Hello everyone,
I recently came across this site while conducting an online search for mouse patterns. I've read through a lot of posts and it seems like you have a nice community here.
I'm located in Wisconsin very near to the home of Aldo Leopold.
I love the Sand county streams of which Mr. Leopold wrote but I do manage a trip to other waters on occasion as well.
I do all of my fishing with the fly rod because I can't seem to find a reason not to.
I also love to hunt ruffed grouse and woodcock in the fall if I'm not chasing fall run browns or salmon. (I'm planning to learn spey casting this year)
I've already gleaned some knowledge here and hope to gain some more!

Tight Lines,

fyshstykr
07-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Driftless. :)
We do have a nice little community here and we're always glad to have another long rodder.

HuronRiverDan
07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the Forum Driftless...It's definitely a nice place to visit..

Dan

mcnerney
07-21-2010, 09:27 AM
driftless: Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around and report on fishing and tying in your part of the world! You mentioned mouse patterns, here is a link to an old Jack Gartside pattern I tied awhile back that you might be interested in: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/12021-mouse-pattern.html

Larry

jpbfly
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
:welcome:from across the pond:wavetowel

Ard
07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Sounds like you'll fit right in here. You live in a great place for hunting Grouse, that was the passion of some of my best dogs and I. Now they are gone but I am here and always ready to talk fish and birds.

Welcome to the group,

Ard

FlyBum
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Welcome!:shades: From another newbie to the forums and returning fly angler.

wjc
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Welcome Driftless,

I also love to hunt ruffed grouse and woodcock in the fall if I'm not chasing fall run browns or salmon.

When I was in my early 20's, I used to go camping in the fall in northern Maine near Moosehead Lake, an area where a couple rivers had a late, FF only, one fish limit on landlocked salmon. This special season overlapped woodcock and partridge season, was well before deer season and occurred shortly before the fall spawning season for landlocks. I always had the place to myself.

It the best time of the year in the north woods - no bugs, generally pretty dry , and the fall winds had not really started blowing with fury. The woodcock would fly the rivers shortly before dark looking for the best alder patches to set into and would go whistling by as I fished.

I'd pack up my shotgun, fly rod and camping gear in the old ford and off I'd go for two weeks.

If there are still areas left like that where you are, take advantage of them while you can.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Jim