Redington CT classic

jhardin80

Reaction score
I wish I would have seen this forum before I put in my xmas list :( My wife ordered me a Redington CT classic what I thought I had put in for was the 9' 5wt but it seems that I accidentally put in the 8'6" 4wt.

My question, I have a cheap combo (like $60) and it's is very flimsy feeling in the tip, is this considered fast action? If so, does anyone know for sure if the Redington CT classic 8'6" 4wt is the same way or is it stiffer? (moderate action is it?)

Hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by buying it.

jhardin80

Reaction score
So the more flimsy the rod tip is the slower the action is? I like a stiffer rod, our son has about the same combo as I do but his rod tip is stiffer than mine and I like casting his more. I can feel the line load better.

newby

Reaction score
So the more flimsy the rod tip is the slower the action is? I like a stiffer rod, our son has about the same combo as I do but his rod tip is stiffer than mine and I like casting his more. I can feel the line load better.
Hmmmm- to each his own but I can feel a medium action rod load better than a fast action. Well, unless that fast action is an incredibly sensitive rod.

I don't think the word "Flimsy" is best to describe rod tips. Usually you will hear it described as "soft." How soft or hard a rod tip is has absolutely no correlation to its action. For example the Winston BIIx is a fast action rod and yet it has a soft tip. Soft tips have their place- they protect tippets extremely well when fighting a big fish. Too "hard" (if you will) a tip and you will constantly be breaking fish off on the hook set. I also like a fairly soft tip because for me at least, the roll cast is easier. Yet fly rods are a creature of balance and too soft a tip your rod can feel "mushy."

The redington CT is a fine rod, I have cast a 8'6" 4wt and would call it medium to medium fast depending on the fly line you have on there. (a half weight over line like a SA GPX will load the rod a bit more)

You won't find a lot of fast action rods with really hard tips because that combo together just isn't pleasant to cast or fish with. I really like my fast action TFO BVK because it has the power to launch heavy rigs, is sensitive, yet has a tip that is softer than some fast action rods which makes it a delight to cast.

jhardin80

Reaction score
I guess it's just hard for me to explain being so new to all of this. As I'm learning and everyone is telling me to go to 10 and stop and then to 2 and stop, when I do that with my rod the tip keeps moving quite a bit and messes up my line a lot of times where as my son's rod doesn't move as much when I come to a stop and tends to lay the line out a little better for me.

It very well could be that I'm just learning to cast but I do like his a little better than mine and I hope that the Redington will be about like that without so much movement in the tip after a stop in casting.

newby

Reaction score
I guess it's just hard for me to explain being so new to all of this. As I'm learning and everyone is telling me to go to 10 and stop and then to 2 and stop, when I do that with my rod the tip keeps moving quite a bit and messes up my line a lot of times where as my son's rod doesn't move as much when I come to a stop and tends to lay the line out a little better for me.

It very well could be that I'm just learning to cast but I do like his a little better than mine and I hope that the Redington will be about like that without so much movement in the tip after a stop in casting.
I know what you mean. when I first started out last year it was overwhelming how much there was to learn. Just all of the knots, what tippet to use in what situations, fly names, etc......

Everybody has a personal preference in fly rods. Once you have casting figured out somewhat and cast a few more rods you'll really know what you like.

jaybo41

Reaction score
First off, this thread and specifically silver's comments are a must read. This will help you understand the action of rods and if you are like me maybe make your head spin a bit. I've read it more than once and still sometimes read/reference it.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...rod-line-rating-power-action-explanation.html

Without knowing the current rod in your lineup I can't say what the action of it is. Just because the tip feels "flimsy" doesn't necessarily mean it's a slow or medium action rod. There could be a few other variables to factor into the equation. When you say flimsy, are you basing this on casting line with the rod, a wiggle of the rod, unlined? It could be that it is a tip flex rod? When you cast the rod, how far down into the blank is it bending? Does the butt feel stiff? Yes, lots of questions and probably some I've missed, but there are lots of unknowns here.

Hoping silver and some of the others see your post and chime in.

I don't own a CT, but have heard many wonderful things about the rod. If you like medium fast that should be a good one for you.

As for the 590 vs 486, what size/type of flies are you throwing and what species of fish do you target?

noreaster

Reaction score
I picked up an 8' 4wt. I prefer shorter rods for the waters i fish. This one is my windy open spaces rod if you can believe it. It is soft as well in the tip. I haven't had it on the water yet,
The 5 wt line in the back yard cast well but the line seemed a little heavy on the rod. Not sure what that indicates, I'm guessing a 4 wt line would not overload the rod?

jhardin80

Reaction score
When you say flimsy, are you basing this on casting line with the rod, a wiggle of the rod, unlined? It could be that it is a tip flex rod? When you cast the rod, how far down into the blank is it bending? Does the butt feel stiff?

When I cast the rod, at the stopping point of the forward motion to shoot the line the tip seems to "wiggle", "flex" (whatever you want to call it) more than it should or more than I would like it to. It seems to wiggle so much back and forth that my casts aren't being laid out correctly. Don't get me wrong, I am not very good at this point but I do have some good casts with it.

My son's rod on the other hand, does not "wiggle" like mine does and seems to be stiffer at the tip and I seem to have better casts with it than with my own. I can feel the line load better with the stiffer tip and know when to start my forward cast better with it.

Thank you all for your comments, it's a never ending learning curve. :)