Winston B2MX versus Winston GVX 6 wt

ctyslcr

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a rod and there are some sales on the B2MX and the GVX. I currently own a 2wt, 4wt and 5 wt for small stream fishing. They each serve their purpose on the E. Fork of the Walker River depending on time of year. I want something to take on the Truckee River in CA as well as some larger rivers. I live in N. Nevada. I would like something for streamers and to throw nymphs. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I haven't tried the B2MX, but everything I have read says it is an extremely fast rod. I would be worried that it would be too stiff for a lot of purposes. I suspect the GVX is more versatile.

cletus

Reaction score
I do not have Any experience with the GVX but I do own the BIIMX 6wt which I use for streamers and double-nymph rigs under an indicator. It's a great rod for those purposes. It's not nearly as stiff on the water as it may feel to you in the shop. Good luck with the choice, both rods would probably be good fits for your intended purposes.

barham

Reaction score
I have the B2MX in 5wt; it is too stiff for me. Although I have not cast the GVX, my absolute favorite fly rod, and I have the Sage Zaxis and Winston B3X, is the B2X 6wt which I got on ebay for around $300.00.
You might check it out.
barham

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
If you are looking to throw big streamers with heavy lines, the B2Mx is a fine rod for that. For other purposes, it may not be the right rod unless you like really fast rods.

The GVX is a quick rod, but I could not find anything that really stood out about it.

If you really want a Winston, the B3x is the sweetheart rod. It is quick, but it easy to adjust one's stroke to cast. There is enough backbone to manhandle fish, but it is forgiving enough to protect tippets. It has the right flex to form tight loops, but yet one can open up a loop easily for those large payloads (nymph rigs, streamers).

Dennis

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Although I have not cast the GVX, my absolute favorite fly rod, and I have the Sage Zaxis and Winston B3X, is the B2X 6wt which I got on ebay for around $300.00.
You might check it out.
barham
Supposedly, according to Winston, the action of the GVX is very similar to the B2x, and the main difference is that the B2x has boron while the GVX is all-graphite.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4n8a1CZf60]Winston Rod Company - GVX / BoronIIIx - YouTube[/ame]

FrankB2

Reaction score
If you really want a Winston, the B3x is the sweetheart rod. It is quick, but it easy to adjust one's stroke to cast. There is enough backbone to manhandle fish, but it is forgiving enough to protect tippets. It has the right flex to form tight loops, but yet one can open up a loop easily for those large payloads (nymph rigs, streamers).

Dennis
Dennis,
Could you please not speak so highly of the BIIIX? I have been itching to buy one for the past month (or longer), and your endorsement of that rod could tip me over the edge. :D Thank You....LOL :D

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Dennis,
Could you please not speak so highly of the BIIIX? I have been itching to buy one for the past month (or longer), and your endorsement of that rod could tip me over the edge. :D Thank You....LOL :D
If it helps, I had the opportunity to cast one against a TFO BVK recently, and I liked the BVK better. (But I'm guessing it won't really help.)

Jackster

Reaction score
Winston even calls the BIIx fast. Having several I would call them anything but fast. They recover quickly but being fast to me means a 5 weight will behave more like a 6 or 7 weight.
Back to the BIIMx, I have that rod also but again wouldn't call it fast in the traditional sense. It has a bit more power but still has that Winston feel. Combine the little bit of extra 'oomph' with the fact it's a 6 weight and a fine streamer and nymphing rod it is as long as you keep the streamer sizes within the ranges that 6 weights typically handle. The beauty is that in a pinch you can use it for tossing dries too.

Now all I can hope is that having an early BIImX, they didn't change the dog-gone action later in the run and that they are now indeed extremely fast!

Last edited:

ctyslcr

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. I have been doing lots of research and I think what I may do is purchase the GVX 6wt or if I can swing it the BiiiX 6wt.

Regards,
Peter