PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Remove Odors From Waders?

hogwild
07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
I recently picked up some waders that have a heavy cigarette odor to them and need to find a safe way to remove it. My first attempt removed some of the foul odor and they've been airing out all day, but it's still pretty strong. I read that White Vinegar works great at removing cigarette odor, but I'm not sure what effect it will have on my waders. My wife refuses to let me use her brand new washing machine and I do not trust the machines at the local laundry. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ard
07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Breathable or Neoprene, and manufacturer? Most have some sort of care instructions when new but if you say what kind they are someone here will probably own a pair and will know. I would hand wash in warm water with a little mild soap or preferably Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap this has a peppermint scent and may end the tobacco smell. Then dry inside out, when dry turn them.

hogwild
07-29-2010, 06:05 PM
They're Dan Bailey Lightweight Waders. I used mild dishwashing detergent and although it did soften the smell, it's still pretty ugly right now and I'm not sure my allergies can withstand that much cigarette odor.

I'll try handwashing them again and see if that will work, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Ard
07-29-2010, 06:47 PM
You could make a solution of warm water and Baking Soda powder. Just be sure to add the powder to about a gallon or so and whisk it in slowly so it dissolves or you will have hundreds of little lumps of powder in the water. After making the concentrate solution dump it into the wash water and soak for awhile.

mudbug
07-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Here is AZ they have been worried about cross contamination of things like whirling disease so they are advocating washing down waders, boots, float tubes, etc with a solution of bleach and water. Maybe that would also remove the smell.

Or

You can just take up smoking and then the smell won't bother you. :D

Joni
07-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I throw mine in the washer with Ivory SNOW Laundry soap....they smell purdy. I do this twice a year, and hose off after each use.
I hate to say it but i am betting a washer is the only solution. Can't tell I use to smoke...LOL

Fly2Fish
07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
If they're chest or even waist-high waders, a good dose of beans for dinner the night before ought to take care of the cigarette odor just fine.;) However, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease . . . .

Brewmaster
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Not sure if it will work on waders, but here is a skunk-scent deodorizing formula concocted by a chemist. The mixture is based on a formula used for removing hydrogen sulfide from waste gas streams in a lab and performs wonders on neutralizing thoils, the noxious chemical components in eau de Pepe Le Pew.

Mix one quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (from your pharmacy) with 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid soap. Soak the waders (or dog) in water and scrub with the mixture, then rinse in warm water. Since thoils are also the active ingredients in the likes of male cat urine, this can be a handy mixture for other chores too.

If that does not work, a couple of other options would be to try Febreeze odor remover, or go to the drug store and ask for an organic odor elimination product - organic odor products are expensive but they work on almost anything.

trapper50cal
08-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Apply the smallest amount of vicks vapo-rub directly under your nose, that ought to take care of it.

Fly2Fish
08-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Apply the smallest amount of vicks vapo-rub directly under your nose, that ought to take care of it.

That would work for my "solution" also;)

kglissmeyer1
08-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I guess it really comes down to what kind of odors and whether they're inside or out...

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/kglissmeyer/flyanglers%20online/croft101.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist[poke]:

Kelly :D

HuronRiverDan
08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Try using a lemon based dish soap, I know lemon will take fish smell off your hands, so I think it might work on the cigaret smell.

Dan

Ard
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
By now I truly hope the problem is solved. I believe we have covered almost every known remedy except the chanting but I'll leave that for another time.

How bout it? Is the smell gone yet?

seajay
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
If all else fails put them in a usps box and send them to me.:D

fredaevans
08-02-2010, 05:51 PM
NO, NO AND AND AND NO!

Breathable waders have special 'requirements.' Been down this road more than once with folks (including cleaning my equipment).

Use Woolite** in cold water/gentle wash and double rinse. You may have to turn the waders inside out/right side out and do same twice. No biggie. Hang to dry ... DO NOT use the dryer, heats to high even on low. Only thing you have to be cognizant of is regular washers will require ' label instructions,' high effenceny (sp?) front/top loaders a hell of a lot less.

fae

** Same stuff you'd use for a wool garment; works a charm with breathables too.

petetothemax
08-03-2010, 09:12 AM
I have had great success with these products:
McNett Hunting & Fishing | Repair Guide (http://www.mcnett-hunting.com/Repair-Guide/Wader-Care-Andamp;-Repair/349.aspx)

good luck!