Some good small LMB streamers?

nick k

Reaction score
Hey all,

I want to make a handful of new smaller streamer patterns for LMB (#4 or lower) and was wondering if anyone here had some good patterns in that range that have proven to be successful.

Any material will be fine, just looking for some ideas. Obviously, I know most of the more standard ones (deceivers, clousers, muddlers, etc.) so anything a little less common would be best.

Thanks guys.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Mallard flank minnows are easy and work well. Basically just tie 2-3 mallard flanks to each side of a hook and ta da. Also Gartside marabou streamer works well to. Prince Aggrevator is another pattern I've caught a lot of bass on too. Last but not least a Meat Whistle will always catch bass. Overall Largemouth aren't really picky imho...

nick k

Reaction score
I like the look of those gartside marabou streamers a lot. I think I'll go for some of those.

LMB definitely aren't picky, I just love to tie new and interesting patterns.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have caught many Bass using the McNally Magnum; pretty simple to make in either single or tandem hook patterns.

Hook: any long shank streamer hook your choice of size
Body: Chenille, color to suit the hackles...........
Hackle Wing: 4 or 5 saddle hackles 4 - 5" long preferably, any color to complement the body material
Collar: A saddle hackle of contrasting color to the wing hackles

Popular combinations for bass are brown - brown / black - Badger with brown body - yellow and brown - red & white, it's endless and up to you.

You mix the body / wing colors to find what will work best.

To tie tandem simply attach a #8 Gamakatsu or similar trailer hook on 20 pound mono. Tie this mono to the hook shank so that the hook trails about 2.5" behind the front hook. After wrapping the mono down double it back toward the bend of the streamer hook and tie this down also.

These are lighter than bunny fur when wet but still take some timing and power to get used to casting them. They have great attractor action in the water and you fish them with short retrieves and pauses. This style creates a 'jigging' effect and works well for bass, pike, etc.

My best bass color was Golden edged badger with a brown body and a trailing hook for short strikes.

Ard

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Ard, age has some advantages! :D

I used to tie Magnums for folks who were chasing Pike when I was tying commercially. Still a good fly!

This one is tied on a 2/0 spinnerbait hook. ;)

Nick, how about a Hornberg Streamer or a Spruce Streamer. Both are old patterns, but don't hear a lot about them now.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The Gartside softhackle streamer is just about the most realistic "swimmer" that you could imagine.
Nick, I think that I've referenced that fly to you on these pages before. Before Jack passed away he lived in Brookline (or close by) as I remember.
The soft hackle steamer may seem as simple as they get, but Jack wrote a whole booklet about it and it's best to do it right.

You also might want to try the flat wing style streamers that are popular here in New England for stripers. They're based on the Rangeley (ME) brook trout steamer called the "Nine Three"
The beauty of their construction is that they have a large profile while using a minimum of material. This makes for a big streamer that is easy to cast. The true SBS is extremely important to keep them from fouling
Kenny Abrames seems to have taken his SBS off line (not surprised) but I'll walk you through if you want.

T

turbineblade

I've had some decent days on Gartside's sparrow pattern -- only tied smaller than he does and with a bit more emphasis on the collar. I tie mine in mostly #8 3X streamer hook size. To me it works pretty effectively as a baitfish fly even though I think it was also intended as a nymph pattern.

I'm glad to see Jack's flies mentioned so quickly in this thread -- I really like his patterns and wish I could have met him.

Those diamond hair minnows are excellent -- craft hair? Link to recipe? :):)

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

I'm interested in that Rip!

theboz

Reaction score
Dahlberg Divers and Muddler Minnows have done well by me! Something about the big head and the fact that you can use them at all depths as well as on top! Also Gurglers are just plain fun!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm glad to see Jack's flies mentioned so quickly in this thread -- I really like his patterns and wish I could have met him.
Jack was quite a character. I spoke with him a few times at shows and the times when he was a guest at our club. Once I was lucky enough to have a private tying session with him where he taught me to tie his floating sand eel. :D

Here's SBS on a basic flat wing. It's missing an important step though.
Rhody Flat Wing
After you tie in the white bucktail in step 2, you need to add a "pillow" of dubbing over the wraps. This "pillow" helps to hold the hackle stem in place to keep the tail from fouling.
You can use anything for this dubbing. I use the fluff that is stripped from the hackle stem.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I've had some decent days on Gartside's sparrow pattern -- only tied smaller than he does z met him.

Those diamond hair minnows are excellent -- craft hair? Link to recipe? :):)

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

I'm interested in that Rip!
I agree I wish I could have met such a unique fellow. Maybe even joined in on a giraffe float trip with him haha.

Diamond hair comes in packs like dubbing. Basically it's really long stands of dubbing like material if I remember correctly. Think you can buy it on john Rohmer's site.

mudbug

Reaction score
Those diamond hair minnows are excellent -- craft hair? Link to recipe?
They are pretty simple, but getting the head right is a bit tricky. You can get Diamond Hair from John at HIS WEBSITE. He is VERY prompt with shipping.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9oybDlw9U]Fly Tying-Diamond Hair Streamer-John Rohmer - YouTube[/ame]

I forgot to include a Foam head minnow here. Basically I just took a DHM and added a piece of foam.