PDA

View Full Version : Favorite trout water in WV, OH, IN, IL, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, OR, CA?

oryontheroad
07-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey all,

New poster here, planning a summer road trip cross-country East to West. I'll be on the road for a couple of weeks at least in September. Anyone have recommendations for trout fishing on the way? I'm willing to go off course a little for good water. I wade fish only (no room for a drift boat amongst all my worldly possessions).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as well as advice for good camping spots. Anyone along the way who would like to show me around your neck of the woods will be rewarded with a cold one on me!

Let me know what's around, your favorite vacation memories, etc. Thanks in advance,

-Sam

fredaevans
07-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Sam, I can only speak to Oregon, what part are you headed to?

Fred

oryontheroad
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Fred ---

I'll be coming into OR from Spokane , and across the 84 to Portland, then down the 5 to the 126W to the coast and down the 101 from there. I have friends to visit in PDX and family on the coast in Florence, then on to old stomping grounds on the CA north coast. I could certainly be convinced to detour a few hours for good fishing, especially into the south-central mountains, as I could easily take the 5 all the way into CA. Let me know where you fish in OR. Thanks for the reply!

---Sam

P.S. -- Anyone who would like to contact me directly with info or links can do so at this dedicated email:

sam.flyfishing.roadtrip@gmail.com

Thanks to all, and stay tuned for links to the trip blog!

MoscaPescador
07-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Sam,
If you wish to down into California, you may want to consider the Upper Sacramento River. There are campgrounds (http://www.woodalls.com/Campground/default.aspx?type=PlacesToCamp&subtype=TentCamping&city=Dunsmuir&state=CA&campground=&keyword=&radius=50&showFeatured=false) spread out the 20+ mile stretch. The Ted Fay Fly Shop (http://www.tedfay.com/) in Dunsmuir would be the key shop where you could get the latest intel. It is perfect 4 to 5 weight water in which you have the opportunities at 20"+ wild Rainbow Trout.

If you want to expand your fishing in that region, you may want to consider fishing the Lower Sacramento River, Pit River, and McCloud River. The local shop for more intel would be The Fly Shop (http://www.theflyshop.com/) in Redding, California.

fishiowa
08-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Sounds like you may be planning to cross Iowa on highway 80. No trout that far south. In Iowa the only trout water is north of highway 20 and the farther north the better. North of highway 20 would also bring the driftless area of SW Wisconsin into play. Let us know what route you are considering.
Rich

jcw355
08-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Elk river in WV.

oryontheroad
08-01-2010, 07:45 AM
@Moscapescador: Thanks for the info. I actually grew up along the lower Sac, in Chico. Not really trout water down there, but I would fish the shad run most years. Dunsmuir is pretty area, I'll make it a point to stop in at that fly shop.

@fishiowa: As I have it mapped now, I'll be skirting through IA, turning off the 80 to the 380/218N and then west on the 18 to Clear Lake, all the way up the 35 into Minnesota along the 90W. If northern IA has good summer trout fishing or great camping spots, it would be an easy detour. let me know. Most of my route is still in the soft warm malleable stage, but I hope to toss it in the kiln in the next couple of weeks.

Great help here in the forum so far, much appreciated!

---Sam

mcnerney
08-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Sam

The Green River below Flaming Gorge is probably south of your route but would be a worth while detour. The boat launch is at the dam and the river flows through a huge canyon 1,500-2,000 ft walls and the only other access point is at the take out 7 miles to the south, but there is a walking trail all the way from the dam to the takeout called Little Hole. This section of the river is called Section A or the aquarium due to the gin colored water with a slight green color. If your willing to hike you can get away from the crowds and the fishing is great. No camping along the river on the A Section, but lots of camping around Dutch John. The land around the river is virually all BLM land so access is not an issue, but the canyon restricts access on the A section. Section B has lots of camping along the river, but I think the trail only goes down maybe a mile or so, not sure. If you are interested in this, send me a PM and I can give you details on the camp sites and how to fish the river.
Up around the Pinedale, WY area there is access to the Green River and Hoback that provides some good fishing. If in the Jackson Hole, WY area you have some possibilities, but I would pm Davo (a guide in that area) who can give you some options for wading. He is pretty busy this time of year so he probably won't see your post.
The South Fork of the Snake just east of Idaho Falls (Swan Valley area) would be another good option, it is a big river but with a little looking you can find good wading. Another option would be to fish the Bighorn River (another tailwater) near Ft Smith, MT. There are a couple of campgrounds in the area and plenty of access to the river.

Larry

MoscaPescador
08-01-2010, 10:04 AM
@Moscapescador: Thanks for the info. I actually grew up along the lower Sac, in Chico. Not really trout water down there, but I would fish the shad run most years. Dunsmuir is pretty area, I'll make it a point to stop in at that fly shop.

The stretch of the Lower Sac between Redding and Red Bluff is considered a blue ribbon trout fishery. It is the most consistent trout water in the state year round. The downside is that its best fished out of driftboat. The guys at The Fly Shop in Redding can clue you in on walk and wade areas. Who knows? You might time it right for the summer Steelhead run.

MP

pegboy1
08-01-2010, 12:23 PM
If you're willing to go just a little of the path I contend that the spring creeks of southwest wisconsin are among some of the best fishing in the country....Bar None!!

Viroqua wisconsin is the town I would fish out of...Here is a link to a fly shop in that area. Check it out!!

Home Page - Driftless Angler Fly Shop (http://www.driftlessangler.com/)

Frank Whiton
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi oryontheroad,

That is a lot of country to travel, visit and fish in only two weeks. If it was me, I would pick Or, Wy, Mt, Ut or Id and fish a good spot in one of these states. One or two days of very good fishing would be better than hit or miss along the road in so many different states. Get a guide book for the state of your choice and do your fishing there.

Frank

mcnerney
08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
oryontheroad: If your thinking of possibly fishing the Snake River in WY, get yourself a copy of the latest issue of American Angler, there is a good article on wade fishing the Snake River there that would point you in the right direction.

Larry

fredaevans
08-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Oregon info: Recreation Report: Northwest Zone: Fishing - Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/)

The State puts these out just about every week and I've found them to be reasonably accurate, if a bit dated. Pick the area and do a click and all the major water(s) will be listed alphabeticly.

But two rivers you want to hit for sure (at that time of the years) would be the lower Deschutes and the Sandy River (hang a 'left' in Spokane and you almost pointed directly at the 'Big D.' If you have time drive to Maupin and then drive down stream towards Mac's Canyon. LOTS of developed camping areas (and cheap as chips as they're all (?) BLM run.

There's a great on line map (or you can buy the booklet for $10.00) of the Deschutes River, the location of the camp sites, what to expect (water, shade, potty, what-ever) and it's dead on correct!

Next river would be the Sandy about 20 miles east of Portland. I'm 90% sure there's a river map available, if not contact flyfishusa and ask the folks. Most of them are on a first name basis with every rock in the river (an excellent e-tailer of fly gear I should also add!!)

From there over to the coast there may be 'other places' but have zero personal knowledge. Once you turn the corner and head down 101 there are a considerable number of rivers that run into the Pacific. Where to fish would be a 'call' at that time of the year. But if you do the fishing report thing above I suspect you'll get some good ideas.

Oh! Before I forget, the next to last river you hit (6'ish miles before entering Kalifornia) is the Chetco. They just changed the fishing regulations and closed off all but the bottom 2.2 miles until November 5th. That said, the very bottom of the river has an excellent cutthroat fishery at this time of the year. There are several 'tweeks' of the fishing regulations, but the ODFW link above has a link in it that covers the changes .... PAY ATTENTION!

Well there's a few 'unorganized thoughts' for you to chew on.
:>)
fae

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Fred ---

I'll be coming into OR from Spokane , and across the 84 to Portland, then down the 5 to the 126W to the coast and down the 101 from there. I have friends to visit in PDX and family on the coast in Florence, then on to old stomping grounds on the CA north coast. I could certainly be convinced to detour a few hours for good fishing, especially into the south-central mountains, as I could easily take the 5 all the way into CA. Let me know where you fish in OR. Thanks for the reply!

---Sam

With all that driving, and in two weeks?, you're not going to have much time for a rod in your hand. Unless you've got someone else to share the driving ... that's all you're going to be doing.

Ugg.
fae

iualum
08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I can speak to Indiana, if you cross up north on the 80/90 toll road, plan a stop at the Pigeon River State Recreation area in LaGrange county. One of the few trout streams in Indiana.

Sasha
08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Sweet a hotspotting thread.......

There are no fish in Idaho, they are all in California ;)

Teamanglerx
08-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Northern Iowa is not only beatuiful but the fishing is excellent. French Creek and Waterloo Creek offer some great water and over all Iowa has 52 trout streams. You could also cross over and get into Wisconson for some good fishing as well. Iowa also has the worlds biggest pork tenderlion sandwich in the town of St. Olaf. It is worth the time.

cattech89
08-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey there Sam. I can help you some with WV, but how do you plan to drive through? That will have a big effect on where to suggest. Ive got several places in mind but some can be a 2-2.5 hr drive off of the interstate whereas others are rather close. Let me know and Ill help you as much as I can. :D:D

oryontheroad
08-23-2010, 11:06 PM
First --- Thanks all for great advice so far and excellent ideas for my 2 week fishing roadtrip.

I'm off tomorrow AM , but will still be able to check in from the road if anyone has last-minute suggestions on where I should stop to fish, camp, eat, learn to line dance, or whatever.

In light of my set time limit, I have so far picked 7 spots to aim for on the journey:

1. Little Elkhart in Indiana
2. Driftless area of Wisconsin
3. Black Hills creeks in SD
4. 2-3 days around the various rivers of MT, WY, and ID
5. Deschutes/Sandy in Oregon
6. Six Rivers area in Northern California if I hear decent steelhead reports
7. Sacramento/Yuba rivers in California

Then I get back home to Venice Beach where I trade in the trout for surf perch! A new thread to follow on that endeavor soon.

Thanks again for the ideas and encouragement, hope to see you on the water!

Sam
sam.flyfishing.roadtrip@gmail.com
Flickr: flyfishing.roadtrip's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53274133@N05/)

flores81
08-24-2010, 03:18 AM
looking forward to your new thread. hope everything goes well

hangin chad
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Hey, Oryontheroad,

For your return trip, you might consider coming up the eastern Sierra via US 395. Hit the West Walker and Little Walker rivers (and maybe Topaz Lake or Twin Lakes) on the CA side and the Truckee in Reno/Sparks, NV. That would also bring you back to I-80.

Oh, and Howdy! from a new board member:)

tully mars
09-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Went to Sturgis in SD to the motorcycle rally back in 2001. Carried my fly rod and had a great day on the Rapid Creek. Crazy Horse was born along the creek.