Wild Water fly rods

siege

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with flyrods or reels from Wild Water Flyfishing out of New York ? I ran across their web site while looking for something else, and found a combo my son would like. However....it seemed to be too good to be true.
I'm old and cynical, and thought it would be wise to see if any of you had hands on stream time with any of their products.
Thanks for your replies.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
All these emerging brands :shocking: In this case I've never heard of them but then I'm not exactly on the pulse of the current 'new' market. There is always a chance that they will be a great find & value. Years ago after breaking a 9'6" Grey's Platinum X I quickly scooped up a rod called Quarrow off eBay for 53 dollars delivered. It was 9' #7 and after a week fishing with it I ordered a second one in case the first met with an accident. For tossing streamers the rod is just fine and fit & finish is great.

If however you are looking for an all round rod for your son, dries to streamers, it may be hard to get one that will answer the needs and still be too good to be true.............. How much are we talking here?

siege

Reaction score
They have been around since 2006. Their website says assembled in USA, and have a lifetime warranty.
I'm suprised nobody ever tried one. I may have to be the guinea pig .
I have a posting milestone coming up. Thats a good enough reason to try out a couple of inexpensive backup combos :D

Last edited:

mikel

Reaction score
It'd be easy to give them a try...there's a 10' 4wt for $116 that I'm curious about and what seems like nice pricing on some other stuff as well...

ctmtlsmth

Reaction score
I bought one a couple years ago when I was just getting into fly fishing and didn't want to spend much. It was $99 on Ebay. I got the 10wt for saltwater. I've since upgraded but it's a decent rod with quality components. It will be a good rod for your son.

xnykid

Reaction score
Sorry to be bumping an old thread but I have something to add.
I have been fishing a wild water 5 wt 9 ft and a 3 wt 7 ft for about 6 months. The 5wt is mostly for my sons an I don't cast it often but when I do I really enjoy it. It is medium to medium fast and feels really nice and works like a charm.
the 7' 3 wt never leaves my car. I like it a lot, it is easy to cast accurately and short enough to work in tighter spaces. the flex is a solid med-fast and although it is not as sensitive as some of my other rods it is just plain fun to cast small buggers and dry flies. this rod came as a complete set up ready to fish: rod, reel backing, floating line, 2 leaders, 15 flies that work, a fly box and rod holder with a flly box zipper compartment. I can actually fish with just this in my car. the fly box compartment is big enough to fit a spool of tippet also. this whole set up cost $114. when I got my TFO 7'6" Pro 3 wt I thought I would be done with this 7' sick but it just never work that way, every time I pull it out to try it I remember why I like it so much so this week I sold the TFO.
Wild Water has now come out with a higher line of rods HX and HX2 series that are make with better carbon and finished to a higher level but still cost about $100 and I am really wanting to try one. I don't fish Sage or Scott, I am more of a TFO, Redington, Echo kind of guy. Stuff that works well and is under $300 works for me and this rod although it is 1/3 that price is right there as a good rod to grab on to and keep. IMHO they are very worthy rods and the idea that you can get them with every thing you need to go fishing for the same price that you might pay for a reel, well that's just a crazy deal.

horsehead

Reaction score
I'm really glad to see a couple of good reports from folks who have taken a chance on them. I had looked at them pretty seriously a few years ago, but went with the TFO NXT instead since I couldn't find anyone who knew anything about Wild Water at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk