Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel-Hair Nymph

pszy22

Reaction score
Back in the day, one of the most innovative and creative fly fisher / tyer was a fellow named Dave Whitlock. One of Dave's great ties was a fly called the Red Fox Squirrel Hair nymph. It's a generic looking nymph that looks a little bit like alot of different things. It can be effectively used for most fresh water fish we pursuit with a fly rod.

It's fairly easy to tie, and works better the more chewed up it gets. Best of all, you are only one road kill away from having all the materials you need to tie the fly.

I don't recall seeing much mention of this fly lately, if you've never seen or tried one before, it is well worth a google.

have fun,

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Dave is pretty much the father of modern bass fly fishing.
I tyed with him once, but his bass bugs and streamers are way above my normal skill level. :eek:

r reese

Reaction score
Is this it. I like this fly and fish it quite oftena470/richardreese/DSCN1235.jpg[/IMG][/URL].

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

try again. love this fly!!

Last edited:

fq13

Reaction score
I have a whole redfox tail if you want to get serious. Ard gets right of first refusal, but the price is $15 TYD.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Seriously ???
Is that what you know about fly tying and OMG why did you even consider adding this post.
Fly fishing and tying didn't miraculously appear when you decided to grace us with your presence .
Please be respectful of what came before you

fq13

Reaction score
Seriously ???
Is that what you know about fly tying and OMG why did you even consider adding this post.
Fly fishing and tying didn't miraculously appear when you decided to grace us with your presence .
Dude, it was a joke. I misread the OP, got called on my brain fart, and offered a joking mea culpa. Please take it in the spirit it was intended. I mean there is not a one of us that hasn't posted something and thirty seconds later said, DOH! No need to get upset over it.
Peace
FQ

itchmesir

Reaction score
I've tied them but really got no faith in them... Never worked before... That's ok though... The abdomen dubbing works for backstabbers.

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Seriously ???

wow.
I guess I won't post any questions or pictures because I don't know enough about fly tying yet.

pszy22

Reaction score
I was going to try to tie one tonight but it looks like I am missing the proper dubbing ingredients. It really looks like a good multi-species fly.
It's easiest to get one dead (or I guess live) fox squirrel. The pattern uses fibers from two different parts of the pelt - the back and the belly. Some folks like to add in some dubbing such as antron to provide a bit of sparkle. Here's a link to Dave's recipe -

Dave Whitlock's Standard Red Fox Squirrel-Hair Nymph

Regarding the material source debate above, perhaps this picture will help clarify

have fun

r reese

Reaction score
The one I pictured has a soft hackle, it is tied a little different than Whitlocks. A friend of mine tied these for me. I like soft hackle nymphs.

craigthor

Reaction score
I was going to try to tie one tonight but it looks like I am missing the proper dubbing ingredients. It really looks like a good multi-species fly.
I've got the Red Fox Squirrel Belly Fur it is one of the ones I use in my orange scud body mix. :D

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Also, a quick pic based on the std recipe.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Thanks Pszy. That recipe is easier to understand than the one I found. And squirrels are easy enough to find if I don't want to purchase it. I'm relieved we don't need Redd Foxx back hair and belly hair. That could've been a problem :)

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
yeah, I wouldn't try to tie it with what materials you have on hand, that would show a total lack of respect to this fly that we use to have fun.

Tie it up man, might end up turning into something great. Tie whatever you want with whatever you have.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
yeah, I wouldn't try to tie it with what materials you have on hand, that would show a total lack of respect to this fly that we use to have fun.

Tie it up man, might end up turning into something great. Tie whatever you want with whatever you have.
Don't do that man. Riptide is good people and a longtime contributor of quality (and friendly) info. He misunderstood Jays (FQs) tone and got a little testy. I'm certain it'll be all good real soon.

I don't have any dubbing that has the spikey texture the fly appears to need. I'm not overly concerned with perfect color match as the fly has likely been successfully tied with variations many times.

craigthor

Reaction score
Don't do that man. Riptide is good people and a longtime contributor of quality (and friendly) info. He misunderstood Jays (FQs) tone and got a little testy. I'm certain it'll be all good real soon.

I don't have any dubbing that has the spikey texture the fly appears to need. I'm not overly concerned with perfect color match as the fly has likely been successfully tied with variations many times.
I should mail ya some that'll get the job done. :punk: