Looking to fish in Massachusetts with others!

masstroutgirl

Reaction score
Hi there.

I live in Cambridge, MA, and would love to find some mentors or people to fish with in the area. I just got into fly fishing this past summer when I worked in Colorado. I have everything that I need to fish, but still not that much experience. I would love to get more practice, especially with people that are more experienced!

I also don't have a car (but I do have a bike), and would love some suggestions of what spots to hit up. I prefer to fish for river trout.

I have been worrying that I won't have as many opportunities to fish or people to fish with when I go back east, but I hope that this is not true.

Please please PM me if you are in the area and are interested! Or if you can put me in contact with someone. Thanks so much! I miss my Colorado fishing buddies!

-Laika

Reactions: Ard

sofly

Reaction score
Hi troutgirl!

My name is Christina and I live in the suburbs pretty much right outside of the city. I started fly fishing last spring and I am utterly obsessed!! I go out any chance I get, have attended lessons, just recently got into tying and hitting up fly fishing shows, etc... I'm looking for more people to fly fish with. Esp. fellow girls as I find myself in love with a male dominated sport and my one & only fishing buddy is my best guy friend. I've been dying to find some female fishing buddies. I am good at researching and finding spots and I could drive to you and help find some spots down your way if you're interested.

I haven't fished in the winter yet but I suppose there's a first time for everything as long as the proper gear is acquired.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I always hope for, and it's working for these folks :)

We have several areas of the country where people have met and became friends because of the forum and it's great to see it blooming on the New England Coast!

very cool,

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
+1 for what Ard said! I personally love getting the chance to meet the folks from the forum and especially getting to fish together.

Larry

dharkin

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

masstroutgirl, I did receive your PM and I responded as soon as I could. Welcome to the forum.

Fishing in Metro Boston is tough but fly fishing (fresh water) is even tougher..............The pond in Jamaica Plain (JP) is probably closer than any other but a short trip west on RT 2 to the concord area will yield a nice pond as well. I can't recall the name at the moment but some book or movie may have referred to it. Just like any other sport or hobby, a little research is required but with a little effort, you will find plenty of spots.

Do you prefer still water or rivers/streams?

Take care.

howly

Reaction score
Hi, I just gotta fly rod for Christmas and am excited to break it in. I've read that the Swift and Deerfield rivers out west are awesome for fly fishing... Although very technical at this time of year. I must admit, I've never even held a fly rod so unfortunately you won't learn a thing from me, but I love to fish, have a car and would be willing to venture out there sometime.

troutfanatic

Reaction score
That Metro West area is a tough area to do much fly fishing as far as rivers go. Your best bet would be to head towards the central or western part of the state. The Swift River is about the only game in town right now as far as fishing during the winter. It's also one of the most technical rivers around. But it is beautiful! Once the state starts stocking trout in the spring things will pick up!

You got spoiled by fishing in Colorado! haha Believe me I know I was working out in Wyoming/Montana this past summer and I didn't want to leave because of the fishing!

hivizadams

Reaction score
Hi, I just gotta fly rod for Christmas and am excited to break it in. I've read that the Swift and Deerfield rivers out west are awesome for fly fishing... Although very technical at this time of year. I must admit, I've never even held a fly rod so unfortunately you won't learn a thing from me, but I love to fish, have a car and would be willing to venture out there sometime.
Welcome to the sport. IMHO, as a newbie, your best bet is to learn the basics (casting, line control, playing a fish, etc.) on still water. Any local pond will suffice. Generally speaking, panfish are less fussy than trout, and they'll help you hone your skills. And to boot, you'll have a lot of fun.
Once you've got some experience under your belt, then you can try your hand on moving water.
And finally, as someone who's fished the Swift for better than 3 decades, I can say unequivocally that it's about the last place I'd recommend for a novice, never mind a first-timer. The fishing is technical all the time, not just in the winter.
Good luck, and I hope you enjoy yourself.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

masstroutgirl, I did receive your PM and I responded as soon as I could. Welcome to the forum.

Fishing in Metro Boston is tough but fly fishing (fresh water) is even tougher..............The pond in Jamaica Plain (JP) is probably closer than any other but a short trip west on RT 2 to the concord area will yield a nice pond as well. I can't recall the name at the moment but some book or movie may have referred to it. Just like any other sport or hobby, a little research is required but with a little effort, you will find plenty of spots.

Do you prefer still water or rivers/streams?

Take care.
The 2 ponds in Concord are Walden (right off rt.2) and Whites pond , not far away. If you head out to 9 acre corner you are in the area. Walden has public shore access ,Whites is limited, both have a public boat launch. Also call the Evening sun fly shop in Pepperell Ma. he will point you to the Nissy and Squanacook . You should look at getting into Saltwater if you want to stay in town and fish the harbor islands. If you have transportation go west of 495.
pm me if you have a question ? I live in Central MA ...18 minutes to the Millers!

The book & writer is Henry David Thoreau.

Last edited: