Best line for a Redington CT 3wt

busbus

Reaction score
A friend of mine who like to spend money just bought a Redington CT 3wt from Cabela's last week. He said it was only $90, so he couldn't help himself. I don't know why he bought it but I think ti is because he likes to rub it in that he can do these sorts of things being single an all. :)

That said, he asked me what I line I thought he should buy. Of course, I told him to go fort he Orvis Clearwater line because I likes it a lot. But he is one of "those" guys and he thinks he has to spend more money to get the latest and greatest.

So, of course, I have no way of knowing what to use! I don't know anything about those rods but I think they are medium-fast, right? And he is what I would call a beginner, too. In fact, I may even be a better caster than he is, which means he is pretty bad! LOL!! :p That's okay, though.

He said he was thinking about the RIO Grand or the RIO Light Touch... Good for him because I can't tell the difference! I told him that it may be more important to get the right sized line and worry about the "slickness" and other bells and whistles later. But I don't know what to tell him!

If the rod is rather slow but he is still a beginner, should he go up a size? Maybe go for a 4wt line? or does the slowness of the rod make him want to go back down to a 3wt? (That is why I suggested the Orvis Clearwater line, because it is sized up a half size to help us poor casting buggers!)

And, just to make him happy, what are the thoughts on the two lines he is eyeing? I told him he is probably over paying for something he will never be able to notice being at the stage he is at right now. I think he may have Cabela's gift cards, which may be why he pooh-poohed my Orvis recommendation. In that case, is a Cabela's line worth it? Maybe go mid-way and go for the Cortland 333?

Look at me making recommendations! I have no clue whatsoever!

Heeeellppp!!

Thanks,
ray

itchmesir

Reaction score
I've been casting my CT 3wt with a dt3f Trout LT... Great line and when one end is shot he can just flip it around and use the other end. I also used a trout taper for some time and it worked great. I'd stay away from the grand... It's a full weight heavier... Meaning a wf3 is really a wf4 and that CT is a relatively moderate action rod which much prefers lines true to their rating

Cabelas lines are now made by Rio... Before they were made by Cortland and were still great lines for the money... I see their new Rio made lines are currently on sale.(the ones with the yellow/grey packaging)

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I would probably not over line a CT. They load easily with a standard WT line. I believe Rio Grand is heavier than standard. I have Gold on my 5WT CT, cheap line on my 3WT. Last I looked Gold is no longer on sale so there are nearly unlimited options in it's price range.

busbus

Reaction score
I've been casting my CT 3wt with a dt3f Trout LT... Great line and when one end is shot he can just flip it around and use the other end. I also used a trout taper for some time and it worked great. I'd stay away from the grand... It's a full weight heavier... Meaning a wf3 is really a wf4 and that CT is a relatively moderate action rod which much prefers lines true to their rating

Thanks for the replies. So I was wrong about overloading the CT. Both answers said not to do it. Got schooled there! LOL!

But they all seem to be the same price, or am I wrong? Wow. $75 seems steep!

itchmesir

Reaction score
$75 dt is cheap when you think about it... Kinda like 2 lines for the price of one... Because the line is a mirror of itself as it tapers the same at both ends

Needless to say... I got my LT on eBay for $40 ;)

busbus

Reaction score
Well, this guy rarely goes out, if you want to know the truth. He is still primarily a spin fisherman. I got him to finally go out fly fishing last year for the first time and he went out a total of three times, so I don't think he has to worry about wearing it out any time soon!!!

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the Cabelas Prestige line, either in a wf3f or dt3f. I have the CT in 3wt with the wf3f and it casts like a dream.

xnykid

Reaction score
+1 on 3wt DT for Ct 3wt, you can cast a 2wt with better success than you can cast a 4wt with it. CT's are self loading.

busbus

Reaction score

Cabelas lines are now made by Rio... Before they were made by Cortland and were still great lines for the money... I see their new Rio made lines are currently on sale.(the ones with the yellow/grey packaging)

My friend just stopped by and he indeed got the Rio Trout 3dt. $40 at Cabela's. He had them put a perfection knot on either end of the line. I guess that is okay? He said they used "ambrosia" or "amsiesiha" or something like that on? It's a very thin....what? Plastic looking line? Never heard of it. Semi-stiff yet not... Ever hear of it? Does it float??

Whatever. He seems happy. It does cast nice though. Wish I had the cash laying around!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

itchmesir

Reaction score
Amnesia is often known as a type shooting line. Can also be used to create hi vis leader butts. It'll work as a nice "indicator" as it's probably neon red or green. It's mono so it'll float sorta. It won't pull the fly line down if that's what worries you. Plenty of people do what they did.

Sounds like your friend got the Trout series. Not the Trout LT. Which is perfectly fine. It'll do everything he needs it to.

“You can’t waste your life making money, and then go back and try to buy your life back.”