PDA

View Full Version : Jacket

ozarkadver
08-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Looking for a good quality fishing jacket. That is waterproof and vent able. Any advise. Thanks Ben.

Ard
08-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I've had a lot of people recommend the Simms G3 to me and the Patagonia jacket also. I haven't bought a new one yet I just keep waxing the old Filson and I have a vintage Lewis Creek that was reconditioned by the company a few years back that I haven't used so it's like new.

When I lived down East (Pennsylvania, VA, GA, & CO.) The wax cotton jackets were enough rain protection in most instances of rainy day fishing. Here in AK. I gotta keep them waxed real good or they wont make the first few hours. I just like them, I know they don't measure up to the G3 or any of the other new ones out there and one of these days I'll buy a Simms. I have a pair of their waders and like them a lot.

Ard

MoscaPescador
08-06-2010, 03:49 PM
There are many good jackets that are on the market. Patagonia SST and Simms G-series jackets will endure over a long period of time.

MP

Jackster
08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
It's very hard to beat the Patagonia warranty.

turner66
08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Simms G4 here, gunmetal (not that gawdy orange one :D). I admit, price was kinda steep even though my local shop gave me a little bit of a deal and sold it to me for the same price as a G3. I have been very pleased with it, and it is "ventable" as you requested. I think it is the only jacket in the Simms lineup with "pit zips", at least it was when I got this one. The cuffs seal nicely, and the hood adjustments are nice for keeping it off your face or blocking your peripheral vision. Good quality hardware and construction too. I'm convinced it is going to last me a very long time.