Verdi

hangin chad

Reaction score
Howdy, folks!

I plan to be hitting the Truckee in Crystal Peak Park round 10 tomorrow morning.

Any advice what patterns to use? Techniques?

Remember, I'm a complete novice with flies so please make it easy on me:)

Or if someone just wants to drop by to say "hi", I'll probably be the only guy on the water sporting both a black tennis elbow brace and a Sportsman's Warehouse vest;)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If no one relies with updated info, you might want to read through this thread: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/western-u-s/13129-truckee-river.html

For additional info, click on the search function, then select "Advanced Search", then in the next window on the left side, type in "Truckee", then select "titles" in the drop down box, there are several threads there on the Truckee river that might offer some advice. Best of luck!

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
HC,

Might want to double check the flows there and next time you’re at Sportsmens Warehouse try to find a stream thermometer. Two weeks ago I passed through that general area and didn't fish, the morning stream temps breeched the 70 degree mark……no bueno for the trout, even if they are holdovers. ;)

Check this out if you get the chance.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/101768649]A Proposed Hoot Owl Closure on the Truckee River on Vimeo[/ame]

Either way, have a great day, Dave

hangin chad

Reaction score
I just saw that post, Dave, on another thread. The thermometer is a good idea, I used to carry one for lakes in Oklahoma but temp is even more critical in trout streams, so where's the light bulb smiley I've seen on other forums?

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Now for my actual trip report:

We're going to record today as a casting practice session on the water rather than a fishing trip. Doing it this way, I batted 1.000 because I never cracked the whip, never lost an inch of leader, never lost a fly.

Had a good fishy looking spot, too, second riffle down from the highway 40 bridge in Verdi. Four or five good spots downstream of boulders I hadn't hit yet, then here come the float tubes full of kids.

Right over every smooth spot in the riffle, too:(

But I still put in a good ten more casts there for practice, then moved on.

Hearing the birds and the wind in the trees was good for me today, definitely.

Only trout activity I saw was in the deep pool under the 40 bridge and at the head of the first riffle down stream.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier, had a very busy weekend. Fishing the Truckee right now through town is a very touchy subject. Extremely low flows and high water temps are putting a lot of stress on the trout and most fly guys aren't touching the river until temps come down. If you do fish it and would suggest being on the water by sun up and off the water by 9 or 10 at the latest. The canyon would be the best place to go as well due to water temps.

Stones are a good bet for flies as well as baetis, caddis and midges.

hangin chad

Reaction score
It's all good, man, Jim and Dave have already advised me about the temps and the voluntary "boycott" of the Truckee till it cools down/fills up more. Hopefully this unexpected patch of overcast skies and steady rain is good for the fish and the fire danger, if not our overall water supply.

I didn't see any stonefly husks on any rocks or plants along the river Saturday. What's up with that, I thought they'd be going strong this time of year??

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
With the rapid drop in water when they shut the flows from Boca off I'm sure we lost a considerable amount of buglife during it. I'm guessing that could be a contributing factor. Haven't been on the river in a while now though so I'm not 100% sure.