Neoprene Leaks

Red Owl

Reaction score
Hi- I bought some Cabela's Neoprene chest waders with attached boots about 4 years ago and they recently started leaking. I think the leak is around the top of the boot area because if I am only knee deep in water my feet start getting wet. How do you locate the leak area and how do you repair it? The waders seem to otherwise be in good condition.
When the off season rolls around I have been folding up the waders and putting them back in the original box- the waders get folded right at the top of the boot area. I am now thinking maybe I should have been storing them in an upright position.
Any help appreciated. :cool:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Yup, they should be rolled rather than folded or hung up by the boots.. away from any ozone. Like your furnace.
To find the leak, fill them with water to above the suspected area. Just don't hang them from the shower head to do it ;)
When you find the leak, circle it with grease pencil and let everything dry.
When you're ready to do the repair, pull the space open as much as possible and squirt in a bunch of flexible adhesive. I use GOOP!
Wet your finger and push it in good.
Should be dry and ready to go within minutes
No further patching necessary.

silver creek

Reaction score
I need to ask you if you find that your feet/socks are getting wet first before the area around the top of the boot.

If Rip Tide's method finds a wet area around the heel or the sole of the neoprene sock, I think you may have a "neoprene compression leak."

This is when the walls of the individual air cells in the neoprene break down due to repeated cycles of compression. The air chambers then communicate with each other, and as they get larger, the walls get weaker and eventually, there is an open channel from the outside of the bootie to the inside. Even if you seal the outside, eventually the open channel will find another way through the outer layer

Any fix will probably temporary.

The Orvis Guide to Tackle Care and Repair: Solid Advice for In-Field Or At ... - Ted Leeson - Google Books

Red Owl

Reaction score
Well, I didn't mention it because I THOUGHT the leak might be around the top of the boots but the felt soles are also peeling away from the boots. I was going to use barge cement to re-attach them but the thought occurred that both the soles coming off and the leaking occurred at the same time.
I'm sort of surprised on the neoprene- I thought the stuff lasted forever. They weren't too expensive- about $80. Is it simply time for a new pair? :cool:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Well, I didn't mention it because I THOUGHT the leak might be around the top of the boots but the felt soles are also peeling away from the boots. I was going to use barge cement to re-attach them but the thought occurred that both the soles coming off and the leaking occurred at the same time.
I'm sort of surprised on the neoprene- I thought the stuff lasted forever. They weren't too expensive- about $80. Is it simply time for a new pair? :cool:
The compression leaks that Silver speaks of have nothing to do with boot foot waders like yours
A leak like you have is caused by stress, not compression, and should be easily repaired
Just be sure to open the leaky area as much as possible by pulling on it just as if you were struggling with a stubborn potato chip bag.
The repair will be ugly but it will never leak in that same exact place again

There's not much you can do about compression leaks in neoprene socks.
You can avoid them for a longer period of time by wearing socks over the neoprene
I'm always surprised more people don't realize this

Red Owl

Reaction score
I know nothing so all help appreciated. The compression leaks then- it sounds like they occur only in socking type neoprene waders and because of foot pressure on the neoprene- is that correct? Thanks.

dean_mt

Reaction score
GOOP! is good stuff. Back in the Red Ball bootfoot wader days I had a tear in the wader across the shin. Those waders were so worn they felt like nice denim jeans. Anyway, I snagged a stick in the woods and rip, it was bad. I made a waterproof patch using a bandana and a lot of GOOP! Sort of a hillbilly style fiberglass I guess. I worked for a while.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I had a pair of Red Ball wading boots that were practically made from Shoe-Goo (a GOOP! product) and nylon stockings before the sole finely rotted out and they fell completely apart. :rolleyes:
I stretched the life expectancy of those things "above and beyond"

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Is goop different from shoe goo?
Shoe Goo is a little more flexible, but all the GOOP products are all pretty much the same thing

Amazing GOOP® and Craft GOOP® contain a thinner formula for precise, detailed work.
Wood & Furniture GOOP® is a thicker, non-slump formula perfect for vertical and overhead applications.
Automotive GOOP®, Household GOOP® and Plumbing GOOP® are all the same formula.
Lawn & Garden GOOP®, Marine GOOP®, RV GOOP® and Sport and Outdoor GOOP® are all UV-resistant.
Shoe GOO® is a more rubbery formula allowing for greater flexibility.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I still have a pair of neoprenes that I bought back when my son still had training wheels on his bicycle.

:confused: ?? What ?? :confused:

I remember it that way 'cuz when he rode his bike right over a 6' river bank into the pool where I was fishing, I ripped out the crotch of the waders that I had on rushing over to fish him out of the water.
:D

He'll be 27 on his next birthday.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I still have a pair of neoprenes that I bought back when my son still had training wheels on his bicycle.

:confused: ?? What ?? :confused:

I remember it that way 'cuz when he rode his bike right over a 6' river bank into the pool where I was fishing, I ripped out the crotch of the waders that I had on rushing over to fish him out of the water.
:D

He'll be 27 on his next birthday.
I'd love to see the repair job on those! ;)

silver creek

Reaction score
Is goop different from shoe goo?
They are all basically synthetic Styrene Butadiene rubber compounds with Toluene and Naphtha as solvents.

To put at thin coating of either of these products on your waders, get a clean old glass jar. Squeeze shoe goo into it. Mix it with toluene or toluol from a paint store using a popsicle stick to thin it. The thin coating will be more flexible and will cure faster.

Both Goop & Shoe Goo= Toluene + Naphtha+ Styrene Butadiene Copolymer

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_msds/amazinggoop_english_clear.pdf

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_msds/shoegoo_english_clear.pdf

"The most prevalent synthetic rubbers are styrene-butadiene rubbers (SBR) derived from the copolymerization of styrene and 1,3-butadiene."

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_rubber"]Synthetic rubber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

luked

Reaction score
something else to think about. return them. I had a set of their breathable waders and had them about 5 years. they started to leak and they are considered footwear and cabelas will replace them with the same things. thats what I did with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk