14'3" CND Solstice build questions

qacwac

Reaction score
Hey everybody. So I'm about to start building a 14'3" CND Solstice (this will be my second build). The CND rep I bought it from gave me the build specs for it. It says a 6" lower handle and a 15" upper with a down locking reel seat. No problem, I get that.

My questions are, any down locking reel seats you'd recommend, particularly any that are intentionally heavy. I know a heavy reel is recommended for spey rods to balance, but I think I'm going to go with the Kraken XLA, hence I'd like a heavy reel seat if they exist since the Kraken is ~ 8 oz. This leads to my second question (which I'll also post in the spey section), should I go with the XLA 5 for the added weight and size, even though the XLA 4 is adequate for my line. My line is a Ballistic Spey 8/9F - 570 Grains. The 4 is designed for 500 to 600 grains while the 5 is for 600 - 1000 grains. This reel will also be my large game saltwater reel (if I ever get to go). Would the added size and weight of the 5 for singlehanded saltwater fishing be overkill?

So, given my situation, which would you recommend, the 4 or 5? Any personal experience with either of those reels in either of those situations?

FYI, either of these reels will be the largest reel I have. Comparably though, I have the Lamson Konic 4.0 for 9/10 weights, the Sage 1880 for 7-9 weights and the regular Kraken 3 for 7-9 weights.

Thanks.

Seth

petee

Reaction score
It isn't a heavy seat but you might look at the Lemke Titanium seat. Saltwater can't touch it. If you are building a rod that you want to keep nice for its entire life you have to look at the Titanium. Check with Ron (SWCR) about seat options. He has some nice Lemke seats such as the LC25 or 26 to start with.

You can epoxy some lead in the butt of the blank. That will add significant weight to the back end of the rod. I have also added some lead line under the backing to add weight to the back of the rod. Lead line can be cut down or completely removed to tune the balance. Saves epoxying in lead that can't be removed. Or buying a heavier reel that, if you don't like it, can't be returned.