Logan Canyon

hopescooter

Reaction score
With warmer than usual temps, I ventured out to Logan river today with some freshly tied midge patterns. I was looking for solitude and solitude is what I got, hardly a soul out on the river. I had read about winter stoneflies and tied couple smaller patterns, but I couldn't see any of them in the river.

Instead I saw few of these(golden stonefly nymphs?) I presume. Next time I will make sure to tie few of these imitations, this thing was huge.
Fishing was really slow, never saw a rise/hatch of any kind and the usual holes I fished before yielded no takes, nothing.

I did spent about couple hours in parts of river I had never fished before, so that was nice. I did get this small brownie on a Utah killer bug to get skunk out of the way, although I was really there for Cutties.

One my way out i saw couple fishermen, the sun was out and it totally felt like a Spring day than a winter day.

stenacron

Reaction score
Nice report and pic's hopescooter! :cool:

You may find that the trout in a freestone river like the Logan are much more sensitive to winter water temp's than those found in tailwater rivers like the middle/lower Weber and Provo. Crowds are a lot worse on those tailwaters too though.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
+1 for what Joe said! Congrats on getting out on a Sunday and doing a little fishing and enjoying the warm weather. I thought you were thinking about heading down to the Green, what happened? Seth (aka qacwac) and his GF headed down to the Green this weekend and I told them to give you a shout.

hopescooter

Reaction score
+1 for what Joe said! Congrats on getting out on a Sunday and doing a little fishing and enjoying the warm weather. I thought you were thinking about heading down to the Green, what happened? Seth (aka qacwac) and his GF headed down to the Green this weekend and I told them to give you a shout.
I wasn't planning on Green this weekend, briefly thought about southern Utah(Sevier/fremont) but decided to wait couple more weeks. I am not sure how Green is fishing, but last I heard flows are pretty high, twice a day release from the dam.

stenacron

Reaction score
I looked on the USGS site and sure enough the water is high, normal winter flows are usually in the 800 CFS range, but as you said it is at 1,200 CFS and bumping to 3,000 CFS twice a day, wonder what that is all about.
Larry,

Do they simulate scour/flood conditions there periodically to prevent the build-up of silt deposits?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Larry,

Do they simulate scour/flood conditions there periodically to prevent the build-up of silt deposits?
Joe: Yes, but that is in the spring runoff. The normal summer flows are in the 2,000 to 3,000 CFS range, but in the spring they will bump the flows up depending on what they think they have in excess water. I think last year it went to 8,000 CFS and a few years ago (another good snow pack year) it bumped to 10,000 CFS, but in low water years it might only go to 4,000 CFS if at all. So I'm really confused at why the twice a day bumps in flow. Now I'm wondering if any of the fly shop owners are sitting on the water board or at least advocating for the fly fisherman like Denny Breer did when he was alive and owned Trout Creek Flies.

I've noticed that Fontenelle is at a higher flow also, 1,280 CFS, where normally this time of year it is around 800 CFS.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09211200 GREEN RIVER BELOW FONTENELLE RESERVOIR, WY