Hello from Stephen City, Virginia

afdavis11

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Alan. I've only been fishing since last August. I've never really done any fishing before then but I've always suspected that I might enjoy fly fishing.

Last year I told the wife I had always dreamed of learning to fly fish which is only done out in Montana, or places out West. I wasn't willing to do all that travel. My wife suggested that, for once, I might be a little tiny bit wrong about the "only in Montana" thing.

I discovered I lived in a little hotbed of creek fishing.

I took a class down at Mossy Creek and have been going a little crazy since. I've caught about 40 fish so far, mostly pan fish in a nearby lake, but maybe a dozen or so trout. I love watching a beautiful cast roll off the rod and land out in front of me. Sometimes I go "fishing" with no intention of catching anything.

I was thinking about buying a sling pack because they just look cool, but I'm not sure if I really want more fishing gear, or whether I'd prefer to stay married.

So, I was going to post a question and realized I'd better introduce myself first. I'm planning on fishing the Shenandoah National Forest (SNF) as much as possible this year so if anyone's up for some hiking/fishing, let me know. For me the Northern portion, particularly the western side of the SNF looks like where my focus will be, come spring.

Thanx for this great forum, I'll be reading for a few more months, and please don't mention the sling pack thing to the wife; I'll tell her it's a safety harness for house chores.