March trip to Northern California

C

chutchinson93

Hi

I'll be in California in March and want to take a solo trip up to Northern California for a few days steelhead fishing.

Been researching a bit, and as i'll be coming from LA i'd prefer somewhere more southern - looking at the Eel river & tributaries at the moment but open to ideas...would prefer somewhere with nice surroundings and a bit of solitude.

Any tips on places/tactics/flies and anything else you can think of are welcome.

PS- I'll hopefully be packing a 9'6ft 7wt switch rod and stuffing in a pair of waders.

Thanks, Connor

Bigfly

Reaction score
That's three votes for the Feather...
The question is if we get Spring early and temps go to 75+.
Or, whether it will stay cool....
Maybe the Yuba too...
3-4 hours drive from LA...
The Trinity would be good.. (Dam release) add another 6 hours..give or take.
The Eel would be logistically difficult...
As mentioned, most coastal rivers are hard to time right

Jim

emann

Reaction score
Not steelhead but the lower sac is packed with 20"+ bows that put up great fights and would be a bit closer, and since it's a taillwater its conditions remain relatively constant.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
If you are going to be fishing the Lower Yuba or Lower Feather, leave the 7 weight at home since it will be overkill.

The Lower Yuba is fishing kind of okay, but it is off color due to releases from Englebright (Yuba River) and Collins (Deer Creek). The river is fishable. I have been using my four and five weights lately. Bring your favorite winter tailwater flies. Skwala stonefly action has been kind of spotty. March Browns should start anytime.

I have not fished the Feather yet this season. I heard that it's been well. Like the Yuba, bring your tailwater flies, as well, as some alevin patterns. I normally fish this time of year with a five or a six weight.

Actually the Lower American River is fishing decently for adult Steelhead. I only swing flies for them with a two handed rod. The guys who are catching the most fish are presenting nymphs. If you don't mind an urban fishery, you may have a good time.

Dennis

yikes

Reaction score
Connor, if you were looking for trout instead of steelhead, the eastern side of the Sierras currently has conditions that might be considered summer-like in another state. This past weekend, temperatures were in the high 50s - low 60's, BWO hatch all day, midday PMD hatch that brings them all to the surface. Most of the trout are between 9-24".
Only limited areas there are open for fishing this time of year, so check the regs very closely.

rocksteady1

Reaction score
The lower sac would. Be great but you need a drif boat. Short of that a guide with a drift boat. I hit the yuba yesterday and it was tough. We caught one fish on a full day drifting, but it was a decent looking 16. I'd stick to trout rivers and hit hot creek near mammoth. Way closer to LA.

k9mark

Reaction score
I'd say the Feather too......however, Pyramid would be hard to turn down but it will prolly be a four hour drive from the bay area.