PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Compartment Dry Fly Boxes

txbevo
08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
I have recently been looking at Wheatley fly boxes. I like the traditional old school look and function. I am most interested in the classic 32 compartment dry fly box. It is just a cool box. I just don't think I could actually shell out over $200 for a fly box even if it lasted for 40 years. I have been doing a little research and have looked at the Wheatley knock-off brands, but I haven't found anyone who offers a 32 compartment option. Does anyone know of such an animal? If so, I would appreciate some information to push me in the right direction.

FISHN50
08-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I have one of those aluminum compartment boxes on one side & the problem I have with it is that if I put large stoneflies or such on the other side, as I open it the box the little catches get caught on the flies & if I have it upside down on a windy day & open it the compartments open & I -have lost a few flies. I put a big paintstick mark on the top so I always open it right side up......Just something to be aware of,,,,,,,,,,,

jager
08-13-2010, 07:08 PM
It surely is a cool box. It isn't for nothing that the Wheatley 1609 is called the Rolls Royce of fly boxes.

I can't speak to any Wheatley knock-offs. Hell, I'm just a newbie getting back into fly fishing after too long an absence. But I did once, as a young man, lust after a Wheatley. And though I hardly had two nickels to rub together (that was the same year I told my newlywed wife the only thing I wanted for Christmas was the two-volume set of 'Trout' by Ernie Schwiebert) - I splurged and bought the 16-compartment Wheatley. The one with the compartments on one side and the clips on the other.

My old Columbia vest didn't fit me. Between back-in-the-day and now is when I quit smoking and gained 25 pounds. So a few weeks ago I was going through all the pockets of that old vest of mine and transferring stuff to the new Orvis Battenkill I recently bought. Most of it was just stuff. Plastic boxes and zingers and nippers and forceps and a snake bite kit and a bunch of my old hand-tied leaders. Just the regular old stuff we all use.

But when I pulled out that old brushed silver Wheatley... my breath caught for a moment. When I pushed the lid open there lay all those old flies of mine. Not the bass bugs or the streamers or the bluegill poppers. No, those all went in the see-through plastic boxes. No, the Wheatley was the domain of only the good stuff. The small, tiny flies that were equal parts hair and hackle and hope.

They lay there in the Wheatley, waiting for me, all these years. Knowing I would come back.

Sometimes you have to treat yourself. Sometimes a box is more than a box.

Ard
08-14-2010, 01:27 PM
If you really want one then you should go ahead and get one. I have a Wheatley 32 compartment box that (like Jeff's box) is filled with some very old and really nice flies. I got mine back when you could get into the Rolls Royce for 65 dollars. In the mid 1970s 65 dollars was quite a bit of money for a fly box. I still carry it when dry fly fishing and the thing I like about the old style box is that they are kinda like leather in that they get better with age. The more worn the boxes get the better you like them.

I'm sort of funny about some of the old fashioned tackle. I have three of the Wheatley Slimalloy salmon boxes that I really like also and one trout clip box. Theres just something about them, they are not waterproof, they don't float, I don't know how to explain the bond you get with them but it happens. Having fishing gear that becomes more than just a simple possession or receptacle for items (for me) is a huge part of the persona that comes along with being a fly fisher.

boser
08-16-2010, 11:47 AM
TX and Hardy, I ordered a few aluminum "clip" style boxes from Cabelas and I really love them. I think they were about 27 bucks. Check out Cabelas web site search for fly boxes and they should come up. I too would like to have a Wheatly but cannot afford 200 bucks for a fly box.
Boser

jager
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Just wanted to say that your post got me to thinking, TX. That's not always a good thing.

Long story, short - the Wheatley 1609 retails for around $250. And that's what most dealers sell them for. I did, however, find a couple of places that discount them.

One, A.B. Herndon Rod company (herndonrods.com) sells them for $165.50. Free engraving. And free shipping within the US.

Mine showed up in priority mail five days after I pressed the PayPal button. Along with a free water bottle and pen. To say I was impressed would be an understatement.

Fly2Fish
08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
It surely is a cool box. It isn't for nothing that the Wheatley 1609 is called the Rolls Royce of fly boxes.

I can't speak to any Wheatley knock-offs. Hell, I'm just a newbie getting back into fly fishing after too long an absence. But I did once, as a young man, lust after a Wheatley. And though I hardly had two nickels to rub together (that was the same year I told my newlywed wife the only thing I wanted for Christmas was the two-volume set of 'Trout' by Ernie Schwiebert) - I splurged and bought the 16-compartment Wheatley. The one with the compartments on one side and the clips on the other.

My old Columbia vest didn't fit me. Between back-in-the-day and now is when I quit smoking and gained 25 pounds. So a few weeks ago I was going through all the pockets of that old vest of mine and transferring stuff to the new Orvis Battenkill I recently bought. Most of it was just stuff. Plastic boxes and zingers and nippers and forceps and a snake bite kit and a bunch of my old hand-tied leaders. Just the regular old stuff we all use.

But when I pulled out that old brushed silver Wheatley... my breath caught for a moment. When I pushed the lid open there lay all those all old flies of mine. Not the bass bugs or the streamers or the bluegill poppers. No, those all went in the see-through plastic boxes. No, the Wheatley was the domain of only the good stuff. The small, tiny flies that were equal parts hair and hackle and hope.

They lay there in the Wheatley, waiting for me, all these years. Knowing I would come back.

Sometimes you have to treat yourself. Sometimes a box is more than a box.

Jager,

Written like a poet. You may have another calling ahead of you :thumbsupu

Ard
08-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Just wanted to say that your post got me to thinking, TX. That's not always a good thing.

Long story, short - the Wheatley 1609 retails for around $250. And that's what most dealers sell them for. I did, however, find a couple of places that discount them.

One, A.B. Herndon Rod company (herndonrods.com) sells them for $165.50. Free engraving. And free shipping within the US.

Mine showed up in priority mail five days after I pressed the PayPal button. Along with a free water bottle and pen. To say I was impressed would be an understatement.

You guys need to go strait to Richard Wheatley and find the #1609 32 compartment box @ 74.99 GBP, that converts to 115.63 USD.

I have a salmon fly clip box that came from them for less than used ones sell for on the auction web site. Postage is reasonable and they reach Alaska in about one week. Here is the Wheatley link to the box & price. Welcome to Richard Wheatley (http://www.richardwheatley.com/acatalog/1609.html)

FrankB2
08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Okuma makes the same type of boxes, and I paid $20 something for two of them about 8 years ago. They haven't rusted, bent, or failed in any other way in that time. I have fiddled with actual Wheatley boxes, and the Okuma is pretty sweet for the price. ;)

jager
08-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Jager,

Written like a poet. You may have another calling ahead of you :thumbsupu

Thank you, Fly2Fish!

yatahey
08-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Introducing the Wheatley snake bite kit.
http://www.comollo.com/images08/IMG_2325.jpg