PDA

View Full Version : Going to Newmarket, NH and the Lamprey River

sxm
08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Any suggestions? Words of wisdom? All I know is that you catch stripers up to the dam and trout above it. High tide will be about 1:00PM.

Rip Tide
08-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Not likely that you'll catch stripers in the river this time of year.
They'll be in cooler water with more tidal exchange. In deep water near reefs during the day and closer to shore in rips and current at night.
You might find bluefish in river mouths however. You'll need to be below the brackish water. Blues only like the salt.

ksyrium
08-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Rip tide is pretty spot on. I live in newmarket, havent heard of any stripers in the river by the dam lately. I've tried a few times for them as well, since I live about a half mile from it. Have only seen a few smaller fish surfacing for something around sundown.

below the dam there is no wading access, fyi. a little ways down from the dam is a boat launch you can wade. not sure how far youll make it before the water goes over your waders during high tide, but you wont get within casting distance of the dam.

as for above the dam, the water is pretty warm, haven't seen too much action for trout. But I haven't really tried going after them lately since I c&r, and the water temps are prohibitive to releasing them. Lots of panfish to go for though. Dont have a ton of time on the river, so there could be deeper portions of the river beyond newmarket still holding trout.

dt doug
08-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Southern NH has been warm and dry, trout fishing in this part of the state is not good right now. If you do want to try fish the brine check with Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, ME. for possible locations to wade. And don't forget you now need to register with the National Saltwater Anglers Registry run by NOAA. www.countmyfish.noaa.gov Let us know how your visit is!

sxm
08-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks to you all. Sounds like I'll leave the rod home. Paying for a day license seems like throwing then money into the water.