PDA

View Full Version : Strike Indicator

sesro1978
04-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi-

I've been using the Orvis twist on foam strike indicators and so far I think they are so-so in terms of staying buoyant. Anyone use something else that they've had luck with; easy to see, stays buoyant, etc...

Thanks!
Sesro1978

P.S. If my indicator continually slides beneath the surface does this mean I have it set too near the nymph and it needs to be higher on the leader...this does not refer to the quick duck -under of a fish on the fly but the consistent, under the surface type.

Frank Whiton
04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi sesro1978,

We need a little more information. Are you fishing fast water or still water? How far is you indicator from the fly? How long is the leader? How deep is the water?

Your indicator may be too small. Is this the indicator you are using? Are you using the small or large size?

Frank

Orvis Twist-on Indicators
http://images3.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/28RTG2SF.jpg

sesro1978
04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi sesro1978,

We need a little more information. Are you fishing fast water or still water? How far is you indicator from the fly? How long is the leader? How deep is the water?

Your indicator may be too small. Is this the indicator you are using? Are you using the small or large size?

Frank

Orvis Twist-on Indicators
http://images3.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/28RTG2SF.jpg

Hi Frank-

I'm fishing in relatively fast water (spring run-off in the northeast). My indicator varies in distance from the fly but is usually 2'-4'. My leader is 9.5 feet and the water varies in depth from around 2' - 5'...

Yep, that's the one or one that looks like it. Currently I *think* I'm using the large size indicator...

Thanks,
Seth

Frank Whiton
04-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Seth,

Here are some things to think about. That style of indicator uses rubber to hold it in place. The indicator has to support the rubber insert so you lose some flotation there. I would make sure you have the large size. You may have to go to a different type of indicator.

Fast water is always a challenge. If it is fast and broken then your indicator may get washed under some of the time. I think your indicator is way to close to your fly. In most cases the purpose of the indicator is to alert you to a strike not to suspend the flies. If you are trying to suspend the fly in fast, broken water, you will need a much bigger indicator. For regular indicator fishing I would move it back to 7.5 feet or so. Or use a 7.5 leader and put it just ahead of the fly line a few inches. (6 inches)

Frank

sesro1978
04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi Seth,

Here are some things to think about. That style of indicator uses rubber to hold it in place. The indicator has to support the rubber insert so you lose some flotation there. I would make sure you have the large size. You may have to go to a different type of indicator.

Fast water is always a challenge. If it is fast and broken then your indicator may get washed under some of the time. I think your indicator is way to close to your fly. In most cases the purpose of the indicator is to alert you to a strike not to suspend the flies. If you are trying to suspend the fly in fast, broken water, you will need a much bigger indicator. For regular indicator fishing I would move it back to 7.5 feet or so. Or use a 7.5 leader and put it just ahead of the fly line a few inches. (6 inches)

Frank

Hi Frank-

Good info. Thanks a ton! I'll give it a shot later tonight. I haven't been nymph fishing in abut 3 years so it's slowly coming back to me. I do recall that I loved doing it and almost preferred it to dry-fly fishing...

What do you think of yarn indicators?

~Seth

fyshstykr
04-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Seth,:icon_smil
Yarn indicators are my choice when nymph fishing, I think they are a little more sensative to strikes than foam. Some have trouble with them, and believe they are wind resistant, but I don't have any problems with them.

Another thing that Frank does is to soak his yarn indicators in 'Hydrostop', do this and it will float like a cork.
You can take a wad of yarn and soak it in 'Hydrostop', and then use what you need for bigger/smaller indicators, dependant on how much weight your using and type of water.

Yarn indicators can be made in many different colors, I like to use Tans, greens, and blues, and personally avoid the bright colors. Under low light conditions I will often switch to a black color, black does not reflect light and you would be surprised at how well you can see one at dusk.

sesro1978
04-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Seth,:icon_smil
Yarn indicators are my choice when nymph fishing, I think they are a little more sensative to strikes than foam. Some have trouble with them, and believe they are wind resistant, but I don't have any problems with them.

Another thing that Frank does is to soak his yarn indicators in 'Hydrostop', do this and it will float like a cork.
You can take a wad of yarn and soak it in 'Hydrostop', and then use what you need for bigger/smaller indicators, dependant on how much weight your using and type of water.

Yarn indicators can be made in many different colors, I like to use Tans, greens, and blues, and personally avoid the bright colors. Under low light conditions I will often switch to a black color, black does not reflect light and you would be surprised at how well you can see one at dusk.

More good info! Thanks!

How do you make your yarn indicators? I've seen them pre-made in stores...

~Seth

fyshstykr
04-24-2008, 01:44 PM
I will cut a piece of yarn about 3" long, fold it in half and cut again, find the spot on the leader where I want it to be and use a cinch loop(that's what I call it)to attach it.
Attaching it is something that is easier to show in person, it's not difficult but takes some learning. I will go look for an illustration for doing this and post it later if I can, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank can post one likity splitt when he reads this.
Sorry...that I can't help you any further right now, I will be back.

sesro1978
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
I will cut a piece of yarn about 3" long, fold it in half and cut again, find the spot on the leader where I want it to be and use a cinch loop(that's what I call it)to attach it.
Attaching it is something that is easier to show in person, it's not difficult but takes some learning. I will go look for an illustration for doing this and post it later if I can, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank can post one likity splitt when he reads this.
Sorry...that I can't help you any further right now, I will be back.

Hi-

I really appreciate the help you have given thus far :-)

~Seth

HuronRiverDan
04-24-2008, 05:21 PM
PopTops work nicely as do FloatMaster Indicators, I use them when Steelhead fishing.

Dan

Frank Whiton
04-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Seth,

Fyshstykr has given you all of my yarn indicator secrets.:) I have tried all of the various indicators and I prefer yarn. I carry scissors with me all the time so I can trim my indicators. Joni doesn't care for yarn indicators but she is still a kid.:wink:

The knot I use is a modified Dropper Loop Knot. I only use 1 1/2 turns before I form the loop. I will try to do some pictures that show how I tie on the yarn. Since I only use the 1 1/2 turns to form the loop the loop will tighten up on the yarn like a slip knot.

The yarn I use is Macrame Poly that you can buy at a local sewing shop. I like the 6mm size. I take an inch or so and lay it in my loop and tighten up the loop. With the knot I use I have never lost an indicator. It does crinkles the leader where you tie it on. After the knot is tight, I take my scissors and un-ravel the yarn. You can also comb it or use Velcro to fluff the yarn.

The second picture shows a Dropper loop but you can't use all the turns like it shows. If you use too many turns the knot will tighten and it won't hold the yarn. The first picture shows when you want to pull up your loop like you were tying a dropper.

Frank

http://www.leadertec.com/Images/knots/dropper_loop_pic1.gif

http://www.leadertec.com/Images/knots/dropper_loop_pic3.gif

Joni
04-24-2008, 09:21 PM
PopTops work nicely as do FloatMaster Indicators, I use them when Steelhead fishing.

Dan

POP TOPS! That is my first choice also. It tells you if you are suspended...PUUUURRFECT!, then Thingamabobbers and Biot Strike! Wahoo!

Stillwater, Slip Indicators are a must! "The Fly Desk"

fyshstykr
04-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Thank You Frank, I knew you would bail me out.:wink:

sesro1978
04-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks everyone!! I've definitely got some options to try out :-)

On a fish catching note; I caught my first fish of the season last night- a yellow perch. Not exactly what I was going for but I guess it'll do. Supposedly there are rainbows in the same area but I didn't see or catch any...

MBWCC
04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
My personal observations regarding various indicator options and their pros & cons:

1. "Bullet" indicators (i.e. the Orvis version, others with a simple rubber tube through a hard foam body, other hard foam body with "toothpick" to pin in place on leader or fly line -- Can't build your own or difficult to build your own (read "expensive") Orvis "twist" version stays on the line the best of the bunch, but others are acceptable if not perfect. "Bullet" indicators cut through wind better, or create less drag in no wind versus other options. Don't twist the fly line as much as other choices. Don't float as well as other choices. Good sensitivity--hey, they barely float on their own. Not too good in fast or turbulent water--hey, what do you expect--they barely float on their own. These are my personal favorite for slower water and lighter weight nymph work.

2. "Foam" strip indicators -- Buy ready-to-use, or build your own from craft foam -- see Wal-Mart's kids' craft section -- cut sheet into strips -- plus two o-rings per indicator purchased at the local hardware store; read “cheap”. Float really well. Many colors and mixed color options -- just buy different color foam sheets, cut strips, and build indicators in colors to match your wildest dreams. Many size options, small, medium, large, huge, etc., --just cut strips longer or wider and use bigger o-rings. Foam indicators twist the fly line about the worst of all choices (corkscrew through the air and water). Good in very fast and turbulent water--hey, these things are virtually impossible to sink. Medium sensitivity (somewhat too buoyant--even the fish have trouble sinking these). These are my other personal favorite for fast or turbulent water.

3. "Yarn" indicators -- Buy ready-to-use or build your own from synthetic yarn and o-rings; read “cheap”. Float fairly well, but eventually become water logged--need occasional floatant application. Good sensitivity (nearly neutral buoyancy--did I mention that they eventually sink on their own?). Twist the line.. Heavy duty drag in the air and water—very difficult to cast any distance or into the wind. My third choice, but good for medium fast or medium turbulent water.

4. Floating "balls". Float very well. Twist the line as badly as any other choice. Not very sensitive (these things are relatively huge, air filled balls--good luck pulling one under water). Can't build your own or difficult to build your own (read "expensive").

5. "Bio-Strike"--Difficult to fashion your own (read "expensive"). Somehwat difficult to reposition. Leaves a residue on your leader or fly line. Near neutral buoyancy; good sensitivity.

The above being my personal observations and preferences; your preferences may differ.

fyshstykr
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
3. "Yarn" indicators -- Buy ready-to-use or build your own from synthetic yarn and o-rings; read “cheap”. Float fairly well, but eventually become water logged--need occasional floatant application. Good sensitivity (nearly neutral buoyancy--did I mention that they eventually sink on their own?). Twist the line.. Heavy duty drag in the air and water—very difficult to cast any distance or into the wind. My third choice, but good for medium fast or medium turbulent water.

Good post!

I agree with you for the most part on yarn indicators, I guess the only part in question for me would be in;how much more resistance yarn has in casting for me?
It's been a while since I've tried some of these other options on the market now. I'm gonna try some of the other options this season and compare.

Thanks. :)