Recommend a DVD for learning specialty casts

plland

Reaction score
I can do the basic cast, I can mend line, I can roll cast pretty well as long as I've got a DT line in the reel... but I want to learn some of these crazy casts like the double haul, the bow and arrow, anything else that I don't know, and also perfect my basic casting techniques. I'm not that good at learning from pictures or from written descriptions. I've tried the single haul, but just don't think I understand the concepts just looking at photos of it. All my technique (if you call it that, you'd be giving me a compliment), I've learned from guides giving me casting lessons, but I think I can learn pretty well from a DVD.

Are there any good DVDs out there that cover lots of specialty casts?

Davo

Reaction score
The Essence of Fly Casting by Mel Krieger. He is a bit goofy in his presentation. But it covers all the basics. You can get it on Amazon.com along with another DVD of his called Fly Casting Faults and Fixes.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi plland,

I think one of the best is "Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting". This one DVD covers every thing you need to know. Lefty has change some concepts on fly casting and his methods work.

I have Mel Kriege's "Essence of Fly Casting". I like his presentation and there is nothing wrong with his DVD (I have the tape). He has two DVD's. If you want the specialty cast you may want to get "Essence of Fly Casting 2". I don't have his second DVD.

Frank

Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting Dvd
Item # KD001

LEFTY KREH ON FLY CASTING Lefty covers it all in this one. From beginning techniques to advanced casts like the curve cast, tuck cast, steeple cast, double-haul, two-handed cast and many more. How to make long roll casts, and a technique that will teach anyone to make a 100-ft plus overhead cast. LEFTY IS THE BEST, and here he becomes your personal instructor. DVD

BigCliff

Reaction score
My favorite is Joe humphrey's "A casting approach to nymphing tactics". It doesn't spend time on curve casts and such, but I think its vital info that will get you into more fish. He has a video on dry flies in tight brush that's quite good as well.

FrankB2

Reaction score
If you'd like the PhD version of double haul technique, take a look at
Joan Wulff's DVD :D . It's the only casting video I own, and it's a love/hate
thing. JW breaks down all motion to the smallest detail, and it can be tedious.
You won't be left with many questions afterward, however. One of the really
useful sections on JW's DVD is the "Oval Cast". It made casting large and
heavy patterns much easier in many situations.

A search on YouTube for "Double Haul", etc, will yield some good results. Just
make sure that the video you're watching seems to have some merit, and that
it's not just some yo-yo with a video camera......