Two hand rod in the surf

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I will be going back to RI for a week in July, and rather than just kayak fishing in the salt ponds we are planning to do some surf fishing on the beach. I was browsing on the LL Bean website and I found I could get a 14 foot 9/10 weight two handed rod for $169. Since I already have a Redington Behemoth reel loaded with 10 wgt line (that is just collecting dust), I figure that would be an economical solution. But reading various articles just makes me more confused about line selection for these rods. I just plan to do overhead casting, not Spey or Skagit. (Since this is something I will probably use once a year, I don't want to make a huge financial investment if I can avoid it.)

Any advice?

acorad

Reaction score
1. Look up how many grains your 10wt line weighs.

2. Find a two-hander that matches that line weight. (A 9/10 wt two-hander rod is probably designed for a much heavier line than the one you have.)

3. Gonna need a stripping basket.

4. Practice, practice, practice!

Andy

Rip Tide

Reaction score
It's possible (but unlikely) to sight-fish the RI surf in July, but for the most part summer time shore bound fishing means fishing at night.

There are big fish (no schoolies) that might cruise the shore during the day, but unless you are very experienced at spotting them... forget it. They are few and far between.
In the summer, under the cover of darkness is when most fish will move in-shore to hunt.
For the most part blind casting during the day would be a waste of effort

Fishing at night isn't hard. You adjust to the light level. But expect to be"choking up" on your casts.
Personally I back off my casts a third or even half the distance that I might cast during the day.
It's all about line control and that's a short range game.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

The good news is that at the ocean you have pretty much unlimited back cast space. The bad news is that traditional Spey casts are not gonna cut it. I do it on occasion for salmon here and there's definitely a technique involved. You do not make repeated false casts, you must draw the line from the water with at least 30 foot of the head still out the rod tip (plus leader) and execute an overhead back cast with authority. This is done gripping the rod with both hands and keeping the line pinned with a finger or fingers of the hand on the top grip. Once the cast has straightened out to the rear you make another authoritative forward cast and at the point of the rod stop you release the remainder of head & running line into the forward cast. Typically this will provide a cast or around 70 foot to the front allowing for about 25 - 35 foot of stripping action before you need to repeat the cast.

Once you are in the groove of this you find that it is easier than the typical process using a 9 or 10 foot single hand rod because the double haul and all the exertion associated with that casting style are removed. You may also find that with practice you can allow some line to slip through your finger grip into the backcast effectively lengthening the distance to the front you can attain. Like any fly fishing situation winds which often accompany surf fishing areas can and will be a challenge so do be mindful of the winds.

PS. I don't use a stripping basket and if I were to try I may find it in conflict with the lower grip of the two hand rod. Line management of the stuff stripped in can and will be an issue you will need to solve on sight.

Although I do fish open beach conditions in some places I use sea walls and spits anytime they are present. I don't know if the fish you are after will enter small coves created by man made structures but if so keep in mind the water and winds are calmer there.

This is a spot here where salmon come into a cove after baitfish. There were showers and the wind was nonexistent at the time the pictures were taken.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
It's possible (but unlikely) to sight-fish the RI surf in July, but for the most part summer time shore bound fishing means fishing at night.
Thanks, I understand that. I grew up in RI and have been fishing there since I could walk (my dad was an avid fisherman, salt and fresh). Now I get down there usually twice a year (late May or early June and late July; the July extended family trip is non-negotiable because of the Blessing of the Fleet road race). My brother and I surf cast at night, but I was interested in trying a two handed fly rod (I haven't done any flyfishing at night, when it gets dark I pick up the surfcasting rod).

Anyway, the more I read about it, the more I wonder if the really long rod is the way to go (I am not planning on spey casting). A shorter 11-12 foot switch rod might be preferable. Then a reel, spools, lines, etc. etc. As usual, the economical plan I start out with disappears! Maybe I'll stick to bucktails and eels when the sun goes down.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Anyway, the more I read about it, the more I wonder if the really long rod is the way to go (I am not planning on spey casting). A shorter 11-12 foot switch rod might be preferable. Then a reel, spools, lines, etc. etc. As usual, the economical plan I start out with disappears! Maybe I'll stick to bucktails and eels when the sun goes down.
I use a 10' rod in the surf as it helps to keep your line up over the breakers.
Of course a longer rod would work just as well or better, but then there's the matter of landing your fish. That's difficult enough with a 9' rod.
With a big surf casting meat rod, you're just dragging your catch up the beach. Fly rods are a little more delicate.

High stick dead drifting a pair of streamers in the long shore current.
10' rod, floating line (no stripping basket)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rip Tide has a point about landing fish, when I fish in salt it is not C&R fishing so I do drag em out. If you are already proficient with a single hand rod then it may be best to stick with what you know. The 2 hand overhead cast with line shooting added can be an acquired skill that may or may not come easily.