PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for new line?

bato
09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
How do I know when It's time for new floating line? The first 6-8 inches of my floating line is starting to sink.

Ard
09-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Bato,

Sounds like you may need to dress the line, did it come with any sort of line dressing? Cortland supplies a cleaning and floatant pad with their lines (at least they did when I last bought one) otherwise you can wipe it down with some Mucillin. You will get many response to this question, this is only what I would do.

Note: When a dry fly line has had years of use and the vinyl coating begins to show little cracks in the entire front end, if it is a DT line just flip it around and use the other end. If it is weight forward don't toss it out, I learned to take my old lines that had began to sink and dye them. That's right; dye them, just like feathers or fur but a little more carefully. I like gray or brown, this gives you a new intermediate sinking line for fishing streamers. They still float well enough to allow line mending and such but will sink (just like they did when you were trying to use them for dry fly fishing) just enough to make a great streamer line for water of medium depth.

Ard

bato
09-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks Hardy reel, I will try and clean the line first. How do I know if it is a DT line and I can flip it around?

Ard
09-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Now that gets complicated. Pull line from the reel and as you are approaching the back side of the line it will begin to swell into a heavy belly and a front taper. This would be the "Double Taper" and you have another end to use. If the line goes to a thin (running line) after you pull the front taper and belly & stays that way to the back end it is a WF (weight forward line.

How old is the line? Also what type of connector is on the front of the line? If it has a braided loop attached sometimes these tend to be sinkers.

adkjoe
09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
My line is about 5 years old and still going strong. I have flipped it once and it's good as new. as long as it's not cracked etc... it should be fine. Try cleaning it that should help a lot.

bato
09-07-2010, 02:08 PM
The line is a couple years old, Theres about a 1" or 2 of looped leader nail knotted to the end of the line for easy leader attachment thats it. I will check on the taper when I get home. I have probably only cleaned it once or twice in those years so I think I will do that tonight and see how it works before I try and flip it if it's even a DT.

ant
09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Have you ever had to cut the line? If so water is getting into the core, just put a small drop of super glue on the tip and that should seal it.

If not then it just needs a good cleaning like Ard says.