How do you attach your net to your body/vest?

plland

Reaction score
I have a large generic retractor (got it at Walmart) that I hang on my vest behind my collar. My net hangs off this, but I don't think it's the ideal rigging.

Jackster

Reaction score
Magnetic net holder with a shock cord between it and the net. I've tried velcro and all sorts of clips but nothing beats just getting the net near the other half of the magnet to clip in. One handed at that!
Since I often fish small, overgrown streams I've learned to carry my net hoop up so my back help prevents it from snagging a branch.

shorthaul

Reaction score
I can still remember the first cheap net that i bought that had a bungee cord in the handle that you would sling over your shoulder and as you walked through the brush it would snag and load up the bungee---just as to turn to see what was impeding your progress it would release on a trajectory toward your face----gotta love it!---who said this was easy!

yatahey

Reaction score
I'm still using one of those funky bungee cord jobs from Walmart (six bucks and change). Yep, snags on the willows, hangs down to my knees, and the bungee broke third time I used it. I retied the cord to shorten it and it hangs off the center loop on the back of my vest a little higher now. Sometimes it drifts in the current and hits me on the legs scaring the crap outta me.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I use a magnetic holder to the "D" ring on the back of my vest & a bungee looped around my wading belt also. Its easy & quick to get the net down to use & also easy to put it back. I put one of those large round key rings around the bag part of thr net & hooked the magnet to that. This way it hangs handle down.

philthy

Reaction score
I normally use a long handle net (about 42" overall) and just shove the handle in between my pack and body. For smaller streams, I also use the magnetic holder.

scottisko0L

Reaction score
ive never used a net and i would like to start carrying one. any tips on what to get?

tlcrep

Reaction score
I have a large generic retractor (got it at Walmart) that I hang on my vest behind my collar. My net hangs off this, but I don't think it's the ideal rigging.
Like everyone else has said, ditch this for a net magnet. Tropical LIghtning, which Joni uses and many others use, have a beautiful net magnet made of koa and coco wood. Whatever net magnet you use, make sure that you attach the net to yourself with a cord, and test it by detaching the net from the net magnet, and make sure it is still attached to you. Many a person has thought they attached the cord correctly, to have the net float down the river!

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Yep, magnetic. I'm also starting to replace my tool zingers with the small magnetic attachments specifically for tools.
BlueDun, I'm with you on that. Have you tried the British-made Stonefly Limpit series magnetic devices (Cabela's has them, currently at discount). They are great! It's nice to be able to mount zingers wherever you'd like them, not just where the vest manufacturer decides to put them.

BlueDun

Reaction score
BlueDun, I'm with you on that. Have you tried the British-made Stonefly Limpit series magnetic devices (Cabela's has them, currently at discount). They are great! It's nice to be able to mount zingers wherever you'd like them, not just where the vest manufacturer decides to put them.
Haven't tried that one - I have the Orvis devices. I really love not having to be limited by the length of the cord.

racine

Reaction score
I prefer the magnet however that is what I use more for my wading staff with the leash to the right side of my vest by the waist. So since I rarely catch lunkers I just use a latch with the handle down that allows me to pull the net off and also have a leash to the bottom back of my vest. Another method is to just put the net in the back pocket and zip it closed with handle poking out.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Haven't tried that one - I have the Orvis devices. I really love not having to be limited by the length of the cord.
I think each is better for different situations. For example, the Stonefly Limpit devices (picture below on right) attach to the vest, wader tops or whatever clothing you prefer with a magnet on each side so that you don't have to put holes in the material you wish to attach them to. On the other hand, as you note, the Orvis (picture below on left, if this is what you are referring to) tool holder isn't restrained by a cord, which could certainly be an advantage if you weren't worried about dropping the tool (or whatever) in the water.

Attachments

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
I prefer the magnet however that is what I use more for my wading staff with the leash to the right side of my vest by the waist. So since I rarely catch lunkers I just use a latch with the handle down that allows me to pull the net off and also have a leash to the bottom back of my vest. Another method is to just put the net in the back pocket and zip it closed with handle poking out.
Orvis makes a wading staff magnetic holder with safety bungee which I find really indispensable. While without it the staff floats and can be retrieved for use by its bungee, it's much easier to use having it attached magnetically to its holder for immediate access if you need it in a hurry (as I often do).

Attachments