fishing Glacier Park

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me any suggestions on creeks or lakes to fish in glacier park, I'll be going up their in August and probably staying the night near a lake in the backcountry.

Troutwhisperer

Reaction score
well no one gave me advice and we didn't stay over night. but i did manage to get 5 minutes of fly fishing in and i caught my first yellowstone cutthroat trout. hes hes just a dink but the odds where against me that day of even catching a fish. 100 degrees outside and kids throughing rocks upstream of me.
Good old adams, always comes through for me.

sorry about picture quallity, quick shot

Attachments

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Just found your question, Lake McDonald had Trout Mackinaw they called them back in 1985 when I fished there.

Wisperer,

You need to fish Hebgen Lake for the Browns. Take or rent a boat and fish the cruisers in the late evening in the cove where Rainbow Creek flows into the lake. This is down near thee dam and opposite the road. There is lots of under water vegetation so don't let em sound on ya, they will break you off every time.

It has been awhile but my guess is that the fish are still there. Best if you have a partner and take turns with the oars in order to move quietly to intercept the fish. You will see them feeding, gently sipping midge and caddis and you have to anticipate the next rise and have a fly there. It can be nerve racking but when you hook into a ten pounder or better you will be hooked yourself.

This is far from traditional fly casting but if I lived where you do I would be a fixture there when I wanted BIG fish.

Let me know what you think or if you've already done this.

Ard