Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Heading to Cape Breton this July

  1. Default Heading to Cape Breton this July

    Were heading up to CB this summer for our annual trip. However, this is the first time I will be bringing fly fishing gear with me, so the trip may actually be productive. Wondering if anyone knows of good spots in the Inverness and North Sydney areas? Also, are guides required? I think I read something about this but cant find the site again. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pointe Aux Anglais, Québec North Shore Region (CANADA)
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

    Quote Originally Posted by pierce652 View Post
    Were heading up to CB this summer for our annual trip. However, this is the first time I will be bringing fly fishing gear with me, so the trip may actually be productive. Wondering if anyone knows of good spots in the Inverness and North Sydney areas? Also, are guides required? I think I read something about this but cant find the site again. Any help would be appreciated.
    Pierce 652

    Did you ever make it to Cape Breton and use your fly rod, hope you went to the middle river or the famous margeree river. Let us know how you did

    Jocelin
    Jocelin LeBlanc
    Pointe Aux Anglais Quebec
    NSFA

  3. Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

    Hello

    Apparently you do not need a guide if you are a non-resident of Nova Scotia, http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishi.../07AGpart4.pdf

    This is a nice contrast to Newfoundland where a non-resident is required to have a guide or close family member!

    Hope this is of some help.

    LLL

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pointe Aux Anglais, Québec North Shore Region (CANADA)
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Hello

    Apparently you do not need a guide if you are a non-resident of Nova Scotia, http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishi.../07AGpart4.pdf

    This is a nice contrast to Newfoundland where a non-resident is required to have a guide or close family member!

    Hope this is of some help.

    LLL
    LLL

    Yes you are correct, no guides needed in Nova Scotia, I fished The Margeree and middle in the early tio mid 90 when i lived in New Brunswick, the Cape Breton trip was a fall trip.

    Unlike Newfoundland and New Brunswick mo guides needed, Quebec is another province where you can fish without a guide.

    Jocelin
    Jocelin LeBlanc
    Pointe Aux Anglais Quebec
    NSFA

  5. Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

    Wow..this is a blast from the past. Yes I did get to CB that summer and got to fish Middle River. Unfortunatey it poured rain for 5 days just before we got there so I had no luck on the Middle. However, it is the most beautiful river I have ever fished. I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to wet my line.

    I didnt hit the Margaree because the salmon were running and its insanely pressured at that time.

    A friend of ours also comes from Inverness and her father works for Glenora Distillery. He took me fishing on the stream that flows through the property and is used in the making of the whiskey. I caught an incredible amount of wild brookies there and had an absolute blast. They hit like a pitbull in a poodles body.

    Were going again this summer for another two weeks and again the Mrs. says I can fish everyday as long as I go to the beach at least once. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I will once again hit the Middle River, hopefully the Margaree and am bringing the salt line and making sure I use it this year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pointe Aux Anglais, Québec North Shore Region (CANADA)
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

    Quote Originally Posted by pierce652 View Post
    Wow..this is a blast from the past. Yes I did get to CB that summer and got to fish Middle River. Unfortunatey it poured rain for 5 days just before we got there so I had no luck on the Middle. However, it is the most beautiful river I have ever fished. I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to wet my line.

    I didnt hit the Margaree because the salmon were running and its insanely pressured at that time.

    A friend of ours also comes from Inverness and her father works for Glenora Distillery. He took me fishing on the stream that flows through the property and is used in the making of the whiskey. I caught an incredible amount of wild brookies there and had an absolute blast. They hit like a pitbull in a poodles body.

    Were going again this summer for another two weeks and again the Mrs. says I can fish everyday as long as I go to the beach at least once. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I will once again hit the Middle River, hopefully the Margaree and am bringing the salt line and making sure I use it this year.
    That is a great update on your trip

    These small streams do hold good amount of brookies.

    A great deal indeed

    Jocelin
    Jocelin LeBlanc
    Pointe Aux Anglais Quebec
    NSFA

  7. Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

    if you are here this summer,you can give me a shout,I will gladly take youi for a few back woods lake trips.I have boats in 6 or 7 way out of the way lakes full of large(14-20") brookies.
    46.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot,the rest are guessed at.

  8. Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

    Quote Originally Posted by troutbum View Post
    if you are here this summer,you can give me a shout,I will gladly take youi for a few back woods lake trips.I have boats in 6 or 7 way out of the way lakes full of large(14-20") brookies.
    I will definatley hold you to it. I know we talked before the trip last year and I caught hell from my wife for not looking you up as we hit the causway.

  9. Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

    We head up this comming friday. Im trying to decide on gear. Im thinking a 3 wt, 5 wt, a 9 wt (in case of salt) and a spinning rod for good measure.

Similar Threads

  1. AQUASTEALTH vs Felt
    By Trout Madness in forum Other Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •