rivers in NB....guide only???

kreid

Reaction score
I am checking out Nerw Brunswick fishing as though I live in Scotland, I am likely to be there may and june 2012....from what I could see you have to have an authorised guide to be allowed to fish NB rivers???:eek:
Is that 100%, just so not like Canada! Would like to know if thats every river and all year as it appeared that certain dates were exempted......any one able to clear this one up for me? And any info regarding salmon/bass / stripers/ brookies/ crappies much appreciated! Fly or spin. Happy New Year.K.

gt05254

Reaction score
Non-residents must have a certified guide to fish any and all New Brunswick rivers. Class I guides can guide 3 non-residents at a time. And they charge for it. Class II guides can guide a non-resident, but are not allowed to charge. I am not aware of any exemptions, and I fish there from May to September.
Gary

By the way, fishing methods are vastly different between the months of May and June. If you plan on fishing in May, which is largely done from small boats, you better bring your woolies.

I've also sent you a PM.

kreid

Reaction score
thanks for the reply....does this mean all species as well. ie trout / bass etc?
PS, thats some fine fish and great shots on the blog!

gt05254

Reaction score
Dan, I've actually spent so much time up there and through a couple forums as well, I've made good friends with a couple fellows that carry a guide II license, and fish with them on occasion. That's always fun, because I get to fish water I don't normally fish, even though its public (crown) water.
Gary

kreid

Reaction score
many thanks for that link, i will have to check it out.
I don't get this grade 2 guide though.....I mean, its their time, they gotta charge surely? Otherwise who does it? Ok if you know someone or have family there but you can't just pick up a phone, call fisherys central and get a grade 2 guide appointed!

wannafish

Reaction score
Yes I'm guessing the guide II is a provision for those who have relatives/friends outside the province who like to fish together on occasion.

kreid

Reaction score
those are one crazy set of rules. What you'd need is a big map showing which rivers you CAN fish! Why is this so different here ? Wouldn't be to make sure outfitters get as exclusive as dammit access to the rivers without the risk of "non payers" fishing their waters at the same time? Sorry if I appear sceptical, but I am from Scotland and here, this sort of thing happens in salmon fishing, just in a different way....many waters or beats had public access by ancient decree.....the biggest con being the no salmon fishing on a sunday rule....thats when the working man had his day off. Landowners, gentry and toffs could have any day, so "no sunday fishing" didn't affect them. But it kept the commoners off the water some of the time. Trout, pike etc fine fish for them on a sunday, they weren't a target species for the gentry anyway, but if they had been, that would have been banned on a sunday too.
Or am I being too sceptical?

gt05254

Reaction score
New Brunswick is a wonderful place to fish. Yes, Riparian Rights, as they are called, allow the owners of those riverbed rights to restrict access...except during the spring season. But then, there is the Crown Reserve system of Salmon pools. Only residents may apply to a draw to fish those pools; non-residents may not fish them under any condition. I really don't think the salmon fishing "rules" are very difficult to interpret. There is a hell of a lot of beautiful salmon water to fish in that province.

And I would say wannafish is on the money about the "why" of a Guide II license.

Gary

Last edited:

kreid

Reaction score
I get the crown reserve system part, keeping some water for locals only, fine. But for an outsider looking in that a hell of a lot of regs, but i suppose the local tackle shop would put you right.
I see some are available without guides in the spring, assuming there are fewer fresh run fish then.
Gt05254, yes its a stunning place to fish....if you can afford to hire a daily guide or use an outfitter.