PEI trout and shore fly fishing

salmotrutta2013

Reaction score
We will be staying near Crapaud the last two weeks of August. I would like some ideas for flies for trout and whether there is any good shore fishing with my stiper outfit. I will have my kayak with me so good spots for a bit of Yak fishing would be appreciated. This all depends on how much time I can get off between spending time visiting the Gallants, Pineaus and Murnaghans. We have a lot of family on the island!

noreaster

Reaction score
We will be staying near Crapaud the last two weeks of August. I would like some ideas for flies for trout and whether there is any good shore fishing with my stiper outfit. I will have my kayak with me so good spots for a bit of Yak fishing would be appreciated. This all depends on how much time I can get off between spending time visiting the Gallants, Pineaus and Murnaghans. We have a lot of family on the island!
Crapaud is close to the West River in Bonshaw Great opportunity to fish there with your kayak down stream from the highway. Going upstream by foot there are lots of holes and big fish. I would suggest an early start as it can be a little busy during peak hours, but lots of opportunity. The west river is mostly dead waters and deep pools, not many rapids to swing. The west river downstream is more tidally influenced so lots of sticklebacks, gudgeons, and other estuary life, small pin fish and other critters. There are lots of hatches and insect life around. Take a look at your surrounding for clues. Check the restrictions to see if there are any catch and release protocols. There are large sea run brookies, steel heads and maybe even salmon at the time you will be fishing. Also may want to check the tides and fish at higher tide points with the incoming tide. I linked you to the tidal tables for Victoria which is very close to Crapaud and south shore, so should be accurate.
http://www.marees.gc.ca/eng/station?type=0&date=2013%2F08%2F18&sid=1715&tz=ADT&pres=1

Popular flies would include Lester the lobster, green machines, butterflies, leeches, pin fish patterns,
Brassie head nymphs will work too. Smaller muddler minnows, and other shrimp patterns.

good luck

Last edited:

salmotrutta2013

Reaction score
Thanks NorEaster!

I issed your reply but fished the Bonshaw a few times. Didn't get below the Trans Canada though but had fun with the small brookies upstream!

Cheers

fishere

Reaction score
I will be in PEI (staying in Souris) from September 18-21 and am looking for information of the late season for rainbows that starts mid-September. The regulation book designates various eligible rivers. I am looking for specific local intel-- access points, suggested flies, fly shops, guides, etc. I know there are Atlantic Salmon as well. Should I bring Salmon gear as well? Also, any recommendations on local pubs/eateries appreciated (in case fishing is not good). Many thanks.