PEI Fly Fishing Spots and Kit

striperdeceiver11

Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be up in PEI the first full week of September outside Montague. I was wondering if anyone could help steer me in the right direction as far as spots are concerned. I have done a little research and am under the impression that the Morell, Midgell, Montague/Valleyfield rivers are good. Brook trout (some salters), steelhead, and catch and release salmon. Sounds amazing. Any good access points or spots? What flies and kit work well?

Also, are there any saltwater fly fishing or spin gear opportunities that time of year? I did read about a recreational groundfishing season that time of year (from wharves/harbours?) I know my typical target linesiders are not really up there, especially that time of year.

Any help would be much appreciated. I also plan on doing the sensible thing and stopping at the one tackle shop in Charlottetown on the way.

Thanks in advance,
Dick

huronfly

Reaction score
I fished the morell the last week of june last year and managed to pull a fair number of 10-12" brookies upstream of indian bridge, most of them came from the spring hole a short walk up from the bridge(you will see the springs coming out of the ground near the shoreline). A local I met parked by the river gave me a couple of adams dry flies to try and worked well, he also mentioned mosquito patterns work well too. I was also just a couple of hours shy of intercepting some searuns. From what the local told me he said salmon numbers have declined drastically. Best of luck!

schooner36

Reaction score
We will be up there about the same time. I talked to a tackle shop there and he said the salters come in and out of the streams in waves. Stopping there on the way in and getting current info seems like a good idea.
The NE part of the island seems like it has some good streams.

striperdeceiver11

Reaction score
Schooner,

Yeah, seems like there are a lot of opportunities in the NE part of the island. I will be stopping at the tackle store on the way up and actually decided to hire a guide for a day at the start of my vacation so as to not be disappointed and fruitless the whole time. Figured I'd learn a few things and local tricks and it would be an enjoyable experience for my girlfriend and I, who is just starting out fly fishing. I am finding that the way the exchange rate has recently plummeted it is pretty reasonable for most things up there.

Good luck & tight lines.

frozenland15

Reaction score
Hi, Im from PEI and do a little bit of guiding part time, I know all the best spots to fish in the area you will be staying and elsewhere on the island.Morrell is definitely a great spot that time of year but does not hold Steelhead from that end of the island.You can email me at frozenland15@live.com for all the info you need.