Terrestrials in NS steams/lakes?

tlpenney

Reaction score
Guys,

Do many of you use terrestrials? I have started purchasing terrestrial "flies" from Bass Pro Shops and recently Reelflies.ca (great Canadian site for purchasing flies by the way!).

I was wondering how much success anyone is having out there.

thanks!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
When I lived in MD, and had opportunities to target trout, I usually fished nymphs, streamers or terrestrial patterns. Very seldom hit the timing of a hatch, and most often my trout fishing excursions where in late summer or fall, so terrestrials were what I relied on for surface activity. I would think, in some places many species of fish will eat terrestrials as a big part of their diet.

I've done well with bass on hopper & cricket patterns too, particularly big foam types. Panfish will take any terrestrial pattern if that's what you're targeting. When I was growing up, I caught a lot of Bluegills & Pumpkinseed Sunfish on terrestrial patterns. Of course I caught a lot of them on the real thing too. :rolleyes:

Trout often took ant, beetles or tiny floating worm patterns when they didn't seem to be interested in anything else. They would eat hopper & cricket patterns also.

There's no guarantee's with anything we use, but there's certainly a time & place when they're going to be useful, and productive. I always have some in a fly box I use for trout & panfish. :)