Best rivers near St. John's

RJRMandville

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just started this salmon fishing racket and am all geared up and ready to go. Often, due to my job, I have to fit fishing in on one day trips as opposed to multi-day excursions. I'm therefore interested in knowing what rivers near St. John's (say within 1-3 hour drive) seem to produced the best results (best back for the buck, if you will). Also, I am interested in a fly tying course over the upcoming winter and am wondering where I might get some info.

Thanks

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi RJRMandville,

I don't know about the St John's area but here are some ideas about fly fishing lessons.

1. Contact the recreation department of your Parks department. They may be called something else in your area but most places have someone that controls the local parks.

2. Find a FFF or Trout Unlimited club and join. They all have lesson's for members.

3. Go to the largest fly shop in the area. Many times they give group lessons. Sometimes if you buy your fly tying tools and materials from them they will give you a few lessons. You may have to negotiate something.

4. Buy fly tying DVD's about the type of fly tying your are interested in.

5. Buy a good fly tying book for beginners to get started and then a book on the type of flies you are interested in.

To get started it only takes 1 or 2 lessons. They will show you the basic techniques that you need to tye simple flies. You can then build on those techniques.

Frank

M.Cox

Reaction score
Hi, I'm also living in St. John's and one of, if not the best Atlantic Salmon rivers in North America is just a short 4hr trip out side of the city, The Exploits and Gander rivers are located around the Grandfalls Windsor area and the Humber river is in Corner book(5-6 hr drive). All three rivers are world class, which is rather sad considering here on the Avalon most of the rivers have under 200 returning large salmon ! But the rivers on the Avalon are full of large Brown! hope this info helps !