Maritime Hatches

devonbustard

Reaction score
Would like some help on the hatches in the eastern provinces.

I know in the early spring it goes somewhat like small stoneflies, bwo’s, Hendrickson’s but I’m just lost on the other prominent hatches.

I’m going to be filling a fly box or two just on naturals of the big hatches so I would like to know what the other hatches are, and what you fish in them.

If it helps any I live in NB and fish the southwest near Woodstock. My rivers are the Meduxnekeag and the Eel rivers. I am going to be venturing into the St Croix this year though.

I’m sure this will be a helpful thread for a lot of maritime and Maine anglers so first let’s get the hatches listed and then what patterns we like in those hatches.

Don’t forget sizes!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devonbustard

Reaction score
Would like some help on the hatches in the eastern provinces.

I know in the early spring it goes somewhat like small stoneflies, bwo’s, Hendrickson’s but I’m just lost on the other prominent hatches.

I’m going to be filling a fly box or two just on naturals of the big hatches so I would like to know what the other hatches are, and what you fish in them.

If it helps any I live in NB and fish the southwest near Woodstock. My rivers are the Meduxnekeag and the Eel rivers. I am going to be venturing into the St Croix this year though.

I’m sure this will be a helpful thread for a lot of maritime and Maine anglers so first let’s get the hatches listed and then what patterns we like in those hatches.

Don’t forget sizes!!!!!

Ok so I’ve done some research:

April to May and Early June

April to early May- early black (hatches first) and early brown stonefly.

Fish either a small stonefly nymph or just a hairs ear in brown or black.

Sizes: black - 16 and 18 brown - 14

Late April to middle of May- Black quill mayflies and tiny black caddis

I would suggest at this time of the year to be nymphing pheasant tails for the mayfly and maybe a small caddis larvae - fish in tandem because the caddis is too small by itself

Sizes: Black Quill - 12 and 14 Tiny Caddis - 20!

Late May Mayfly hatches! Hendrickson’s stop at June but the Marryatts stay longer to about the middle of June - Hendrickson, Dark Hendrickson’s and little Marryatts

Most of these hatches happens at the same time and fish will be rising! Dry fly time :) nymphs are always a solid technique though.

Sizes: Hendrickson’s - 12 and 14 Marryatts - 14 through 18

May - early June Caddis - black caddis

You can fish these on dries, but nymphs will work too. Elk hair caddis in black is very realistic, maybe tie up a x caddis or Goddard in black too.

Sizes: 16 and 18

Do not forget that during spring the suckers in brooks run to spawn. It is HIGHLY effective to fish an egg pattern below them, as brook trout are lazy and are waiting for those eggs they’re laying to fall down to them. You can fish that technique for about a week after they’re done spawning.

Sucker eggs are also golden in colour, so be make sure to fish a yellowish pattern (brookies love yellow anyways!)

I have more hatches to cover but I’ll stop her incase someone wants to chime in.

Also note that I am a brook trout angler and do not have much experience with rainbows or brown trout. Early spring is streamer time for brown trout laying in deep pools. They want a big meal without much effort. Most trout will congregate in the deepest holes in the spring.