abaco casuarina point

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
hello all,

recently returned from my bi-annual saltwater fishing adventure. this year it was a week in abaco.

i am a big fan of "do it yourself" flyfishing adventures and this trip was special in many ways as i will describe below.

in the past, i have fished the bahamas in exuma, nassau, mayaguana and most recently abaco. i have also flyfished florida, north carolina, virginia, alaska, canada, aruba, cancun and hawaii.

living in southeastern pennsylvania, the bahamas provide a close and fruitful destination.

we flew from philadelphia into west palm beach florida. from there, it was a short flight with bahamasair into marsh harbour, abaco. we spent a week on this island.

our accomodations were in a 2 bed room rental house right on the beach in casuarina point. this is 14 miles south of the airport.

the rental home was nothing short of spectacular...check out kokomoabaco.com. the 2 bedroom home was right on the beach, 30 feet from the waters edge with bonefish passing the front porch in plan site every afternoon.

the rental is complete with a white mini-van (which was parked at the airport waiting for our arrival) and a 16' carolina skiff with 20 hp outboard honda 4 stroke engine.

there are bonefish rich flats as far as one can see up and down the beach. in total we caught and released 7 different species of fish right in front of the house.

less than one mile off the beach right in front of the home, there is deep blue water. trolling with our heavier spinning gear and yo-zuri divers, we were able to catch very nice mahi mahi...thank god the tuna decided not to destroy our light gear.

we caught numerous bone fish during the day both with spinning and fly tackle. bones were in the 3-5 lbs class ranging from 16-20". we did break down the one day and chartered with Buddy Pinder for a flats fishing trip. we fished the western flats called the marls and landed many bones.

after dark and dinner, we would cast our light spinning gear into the water in front of the house. we'd walk our rods back up to the deck and kick back with a cold one. we caught all sorts of fish after dark including bonefish and some very nice snappers. conch for bait was perfect (picked up enough conch bait in town for $2).

check out the link to the rental property. there is a larger rental (4 bedrooms) 2 doors down the beach from kokomo.

i would definitely consider returning to abaco. it is the only place i have been where i could see no other fisherman and the prey was abundant. also, i have never been in a location where within 1 mile of the front porch, i could catch bonefish, see several large permit (which i failed to hook), go snorkling and spearfishing (grouper and lobster) and do alittle deep water trolling for mahi mahi and yellowfin tuna.

finally, the kokomo rental was absolutely gorgeous with airconditioning, flat screen tv's (watched the final four ncaa tournament), vonage phone service, and wifi. all amenities were there...all from dish soap, laundry soap, linens and towels to fresh running water, full kitchen, and most importantly, ice machine!

i'm having difficulty with the photos, however, the link above nicely shows the rental, beach and flats.

uni2uniknot

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

oh forgot to ask...

if anyone else has had a similar experience, for example, a "do it yourself" destination with such fishing diversity, please let me know.

thanks!

uni2uniknot

Last edited:

bonefishonthefly

Reaction score
That is some great info on Abaco. I am heading there on November 8th for some DIY bonefishing and would appreciate any help you can provide. I have fished throughout the Bahamas but this is my first trip to Abaco.

Thanks

uni2uniknot

Reaction score
That is some great info on Abaco. I am heading there on November 8th for some DIY bonefishing and would appreciate any help you can provide. I have fished throughout the Bahamas but this is my first trip to Abaco.

Thanks
Great...I am sure you will enjoy your trip to Abaco.

In our trip to Casuarina Point, we didn't do much traveling. We were succcessful each day fishing the beautiful flats right in front of the rental.

Ligth spinning gear is what we used. 7' rods, shimano reels spooled with 15lbs test braid and topped off with 10' of fluorocarbon. used light jigs tipped with fresh conch (which can be bought in town very near the airport.

We used 9' 8 weight flyrods with weight forward floating lines. Smaller flies seemed to work the best. The water was crystal clear and although you could see the fish coming, the fish could also sense your presence and they would spook on bad casts.

I would highly recommend looking into Casuarina Point and especially the rental properties mentioned in my post. Spending a day with guide Buddy Pinder (who lives in Casuarina Point) is also highly recommended.

Best of luck on your trip...tight lines.

Uni2

high plains drifter

Reaction score
Uni2Uniknot,

Thanks for the post on Casaurina. We stayed with Kathy and Gary last year and plan to return in a couple weeks. We encountered many bones and a few mutton snapper. As Permit is on my bucket list, I`m hoping you might point me in the right direction.

Regards,

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Uni2uniknot: Awesome report! I hope you figure out how to post a few photos. I went to the kokomoabaco.com site, but it doesn't list the daily price, can you give us some idea what they are charging, it certainly sounds like a great place to visit.