Andros Island guide

scoobysteve

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a guide on Andros Island? I've done the google search but would like some recommendations. I'll be staying in the Fresh Creek area.

gt05254

Reaction score
Patterson Bowleg, Mangrove Cay Bonefish Guide Service. Most excellent guide and a very nice guy. He has other good guides working for him, too. I've used several.
Gary

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Also, this is a GREAT fly for Andros, the SimRam. I have never had a bone refuse it.
[/IMG]

scoobysteve

Reaction score
It looks like Mangrove Cay isn't accessible from where I'll be staying on Andros. I believe where I'll be is referred to as North Andros.

gt05254

Reaction score
Just a thought, but Patterson would be worth a shout to find out, and if he doesn't run up there, who would he recommend. He is a very responsible captain/guide.
Gary

scoobysteve

Reaction score
I actually ended up going fishing with Bradley for two days. Great guide. Incredible eyes and always knew where to go to find fish. I'll definitely fish with him when I make it back to Andros.

wjc

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

I'll be staying in a bungalo, not a fishing lodge, on/near to Stafford Creek which is 26 miles north of Andros Town. Mostly, I will be primarily wading with 2 buddies, but I'm certain both will want to go with a guide for one day at least.

Is the guide, Bradley, whom you went with an independant or working with a lodge. And where does he fish out of, do you know?

Thanks,
Jim

clogrennane

Reaction score
I fished the Joulters Cays North Andros in Nov 2012 and 2013 with Philip Rolle. If you want to wade fish all day on white sand flats, this is the place. If the wind blows there's no where to hide so just accept the challenge and get fishing!

bluechipfish

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have spent a ton of time in Andros, and have an interesting DIY setup to spotlight. My friend down there, Jerry, rents a beautiful house on Fresh Creek. If you're going to fish, he can make sure he includes a 13 ft. Whaler for your use. The boat is slipped right at the property, and you can watch tarpon roll right out front, and there's awesome flats 25 yds beyond that where you'll see tailing bones!

There's not a ton of info on Andros and I think a lot of people think they need to get a guide etc. A guide on a day or two is certainly helpful, but for someone with a bit of experience, it's all right there.

Just figured I would put this up for you guys in case anyone's considering a trip. Jerry will make sure you're taken care of the whole time, and is a great tour guide.

Here's the house. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8322957?s=6eVdpIY7

I should add, Jerry's cousin is one of the best guides on the island.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
New Bahamas regulations this year prohibit 2 or more people from going out in a boat together unless one is a licensed guide. Also newly required this year are fishing licenses for all anglers, but the law is so new there are hardly any places to buy them. Makes a budget-minded DIY trip with buddies rather more difficult than it used to be.

bluechipfish

Reaction score
New Bahamas regulations this year prohibit 2 or more people from going out in a boat together unless one is a licensed guide. Also newly required this year are fishing licenses for all anglers, but the law is so new there are hardly any places to buy them. Makes a budget-minded DIY trip with buddies rather more difficult than it used to be.
I have seen some of those regs. The good news is that there's lots of wading to be done right there. Jerry's well connected and I'm sure can get some great rates with his cousin that guides with small hope bay as well. I know we're also all supposed to play by the book, but I think you'd be hard pressed to run into any fisheries enforcement in Fresh Creek. This is the kind of place where you can be hard pressed to run into ANYONE during the course of your fishing... let alone the law. I've never come into contact with anyone but police and immigration.. and they were not interested in talking about fishing. Just sayin'.

Editors note- Don't take this as encouragement to break the law