Self guided wading trip to North Andros

marty mcfly

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Andros with a couple buddies in spring 2018. We are planning on staying about a week but we will only have a guide one day. So, we plan to do a lot of wading on our own from shore. Right now we are looking at renting a house on the beach at the very northern tip of North Andros....very close to lowes sound. My question is whether anyone has info on wading lowes sound or other areas at the Northern tip of the island that don't require a boat.

I know there is lots of good fishing other places on the island but I'm really just looking for info about wading lowes sound and the northern tip from shore to help us evaluate the rental house. Thanks!

elkcaddis

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere a year or so ago that the Bahamas government was considering a bill that would make illegal unguided bonefishing, plus impose a daily fishing fee. Not sure where it stands today.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
All anglers need fishing licenses, but they are affordable. (Finding somebody to issue one can be a challenge, though, so it's best to know ahead of time how to get it.) DIY wading and solo DIY from a boat are allowed, but if there are two anglers in a boat they need to hire a licensed guide. I fished the Berry Islands this spring and saw four guys who had rented a boat get busted. Their argument that they were wading rather that fishing from the boat didn't hold up, because they had all used the same boat to get to the flats. My guide saw them and called the harbormaster, who knew who had rented them the boat, and the cops were waiting for them when they came back to the dock.

Rod Hamilton at DIYbonefishing.com is a fan of using kayaks for fishing solo but still being able to get around on the water. He uses his own inflatables so he can pack them up as checked luggage, but you might also find someone who rents kayaks on location.

flyminded

Reaction score
All anglers need fishing licenses, but they are affordable. (Finding somebody to issue one can be a challenge, though, so it's best to know ahead of time how to get it.) DIY wading and solo DIY from a boat are allowed, but if there are two anglers in a boat they need to hire a licensed guide. I fished the Berry Islands this spring and saw four guys who had rented a boat get busted. Their argument that they were wading rather that fishing from the boat didn't hold up, because they had all used the same boat to get to the flats. My guide saw them and called the harbormaster, who knew who had rented them the boat, and the cops were waiting for them when they came back to the dock.

Rod Hamilton at DIYbonefishing.com is a fan of using kayaks for fishing solo but still being able to get around on the water. He uses his own inflatables so he can pack them up as checked luggage, but you might also find someone who rents kayaks on location.
A lot of rental houses in the Bahamas, especially in "Bonefish" areas have kayaks included in the rental agreement.

marty mcfly

Reaction score
All anglers need fishing licenses, but they are affordable. (Finding somebody to issue one can be a challenge, though, so it's best to know ahead of time how to get it.) DIY wading and solo DIY from a boat are allowed, but if there are two anglers in a boat they need to hire a licensed guide.
This information is consistent with my research. It is a new change as of the beginning of this year. I don't mind buying a license to fish, even if I am just going to wade on my own, but the new rule requiring 2+ guys in a boat to have a guide is complete BS. It doesn't really affect me as a tourist but I bet it has chilled the market for vacation houses down there. If I was ever day dreaming about owning a little place on the water with a boat so I could escape to and do some fishing with friends or the wife a few times a year, this rule change burst that bubble. Now I'd have to hire a guide to go with us! They got greedy.